• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just finished a winch install

Lorax

Well, I just walked in the house from finishing my first winch install. What an experience. Everything went well, it just took a little longer than expected.

A couple weeks of tinkering with the winch on a worktable to make sure it worked right, and to sand/paint all the brackets, bumper, and winch. The engine lift paid for itself multiple times on this project alone.

Some experiences from someone that has never done a job like this before, but had the TMs, and most of the parts:
1. Check the little cotter pin inside the PTO housing. Mine was worn halfway thru and needed replacing.
2. An extra set of hands when installing the PTO can literally be a life saver. In order to reach the studs, I had to have my face directly under the PTO.
3. Looking at how the PTO gears move is really quite interesting. It gives a better idea of what's happening when shifting the PTO handle.
4. I was pleased that all the mounting holes were already drilled and/or tapped and waiting in the truck. It's just a matter of lining all the parts up and tightening them down.
5. What a feeling of satisfaction to hook the cable to a tree, and let the winch wind the cable up good and tight. To know it all works.
6. Don't leave the PTO in LOW, and hold the brake pedal down, then release the clutch. That winch will pull the truck nose down toward the ground and kill the engine. Oops. Not paying attention to the new coordination required for running a winch.

It actually worked. The first time. Fantastic.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before and after pics please! I've done many and the second and subsequent ones went much faster.

Blood_of_Tyrants

I just finished an installation myself. More tips.

1. The bolts and nuts felt like they had loctite on them and were difficult to remove. To make installation easier, I heated the bolts and nuts with a propane torch to burn the locktite off. Then I used a wire brush to clean them. Finally, I used a die to chase the threads on the studs. The nuts went back on easily with my fingers.

2. 90W/140 is too thick. :oops:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got the same thing in mind for my A2C. I've got everything I need but the PTO and the driveshaft. I've been holding out for a dual output PTO worth the money but I may have to break down and get a front only :cry: .

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Looking very good a duece or any truck just looks better with a winch. Is that a dolly convertor under the tarp? I like the paint job wat paint did you use and spray or brush.

Which Hampton are you in?

Lorax

The trailer in the background is a regular 2.5 ton chassis trailer. Destined to have a deck installed on it.

The paint is regular spray paint. Krylon camo. It has held up surprisingly well. The other deuce in the background was painted the same way. Plan on doing the hardtops for both trucks the same way, after rust repair.

Hampton in southeast Virginia.

The truck has been sitting still for about 2 months for the winch install. Ran the engine every other weekend tho. What a feeling to climb back in and drive around some yesterday.

Most of the nuts/bolts either broke in the process of removing them, or destroyed their threads and needed replacing. There's a small mountain of 40 year old broken bolts sitting on the worktable. This site was a wealth of information for the install. Reading reading reading for weeks on what others did for their install really helped.