• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

just finished working on deuce

ctmustang

just finished working on the right rear most hub. Had a leaking grease seal-axle fluid everywhere. Replaced the seals ,wheel bearings,races and brake shoes. put it all back together and started to leave the yard and just had 1 of those feelings. Jumped out and went around to look at the wheel I just finished and sure enough-BRAKE FLUID running out of the wheel. tore it back down last night and went to Delks today and got the wheel cyl. went on test drive a while ago and got back and took temp. readings with infrared therm. All rear brake drums were around 120 deg. All hubs were between 90-100 deg. except for the one I just worked on it was 150 deg. felt good about the bearing adjustment. used plenty of grease valvoline extreme pressure high temp. grease lithium complex NLGI#2. trip was about 10 miles through back country roads with some good braking. any ideas on hot hub appreciated.
thanks for any suggestions C.T.:roll:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What brand(NOS mil spec or NewStar) of seals did you use? Where did you buy them?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I was guessing that he used reproduction seals that are fitting too tight, causing the friction that is warming that hub more than the others. IIRC, NOS mil seals are usually in a foil package that "seals" them from oxygen and harmful ozone.

tm america

use nos or a good qaulity repo part .oem is usually best.mic it out make sure new seals are the same thinkness and are the same in everyway .a little different means a big problem

ctmustang

Went out today for about a 30 mile drive and got home and imm. cheched the hub temps- the one hub in question was still at 145 deg. Does anyone think this is to hot or go ahead and replace seal for the 3rd time? if it's only going to run at 145 deg. would you be concerned? or is this too much heat?
thanks C.T.:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks