• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just getting started with Initial repairs

WatchDawg

So bought my M1009 just a week or two ago, so far have replaced, thermostat, alt 1 and 2 and power steering belts and uuper rad. hose, did an inspection undercarriage (got it up on a lift, had a mechanic look for any trouble-spots, seems to have checked out).

On the way home, noticed it started to idle high and throttle seemed to stick open until I pressed break enough for the rpm's to lower to shift down.

Got it home, parked for a bit, then started it up, was revving really high, put it into gear, when I went to reverse idle went down, then neutral went high then drive went down (not to normal, just less then park or neutral ).

I got it to work, was suggested to check the oil to see if any antifreeze made it into the coolant, to see if head gasket is leaking.

Put hands on upper and lower hoses, all hoses in coolant system were pretty hot.

Also of note, the heater was never really working, I noticed if i put it in defroster was running hotter then heater, so today was running most defroster, not heater as normal. Heater was always just luke warm.

Hopefully head gasket is ok, and it's an issue between heater and defroster, and I havn't borked anything else.

Any other suggestions to check for possible causes of high idle ?

btw been reading through the TM's 29, 34, and some of the others. just getting started.

Rvitko

Their is a solenoid on the fuel pump throttle bracket for high idle speed, it is there for warm up and should disengage. It may be sticking, it also has an adjustment I believe and that may have been turned up. The throttle cable could also be stuck or the bracket bent

WatchDawg

Hey,

Pictures of Spectr should be attached (Truck / Battle Buddy's name) Like me spectr was made in the 80's and served in the USAF :driver::grin:. I'll get some pictures of the repair as I complete it.

Little new here, been reading over the forms for awhile, when i first started to research just joined when I finally was ready to buy my first MV.

Repairs before upgrades

-get a new Fast Idle controller, want to replace all the glow plugs (just to make sure feel safer if I know they are done)

-Still need to figure out why heat isn't working, so far I replaced thermostat in hose, and upper and lower rad. hoses and flushed the core. I did get a heater core, will install prob. saturday.

-May need need lower ball joints on front,

-I got 4 spare tires with the truck, one tire has some dry rot, so need to get that replaced, prob before spring.

-Need passenger and drivers vent windows, gotta contact john at hillbilly wizard to get those.

-Replace low / high beam switch (currently only have high beams, but previous owner aimed lights down a bit so I don't blind people)

-Replace parking break switch (light is constantly on, I know the break isn't on, gotta troubleshoot that)

-Figure out Gen 1 light, I replaced the belts, the previous owner only had 2 belts (right alt, and power steering + Left alt), i put all the correct belts on thanks to notes through the forms. Tested the voltage at battery's and alt's and everything looks good , may just be a bad diode in left alt.

-Take apart dash and do a bulb replacment, cant see speedo at night, use my cell phone to get my speed via gps

-Fix / upgrade horn

-Get springs / new shifter for steering column, currently does not move, have to count to make sure I'm in drive.
[HR][/HR]

Once i've got it on the road with no issues, or lingering things to worry about I can start to do my upgrades.

First few upgrades

-Making my own backup and side view camera system (used to work in as an engineer in tv broadcasting, and did some custom stuff on the news trucks). I live in a city, and will make it lots easier to park, and I'll get my monitor installed at that time for nav. gps, tracking, and some custom stuff i'm doing with ardunio. (weather station, sonar, etc)

-Order replacement blackout lights (previous owner painted over them, and I want them installed)

-Install fog lights / 4x4 lights (Love the Led bar type)

-Order Caterpillar Air cleaner for snorkel and install

-Going to put 2 battery's in parallel and install in back then goto a 20k-30k 24V inverter to 110

-Get a good UHF / VHF antenna for my amature radio rig (have my antenna mount)

-Get a good 4G LTE antenna installed (found some with upto 150db gain)

-Get a wifi high gain antenna installed to provide wifi to people at festivals

-Install Masterlock 770 hitch pin (similiar to what maintance trucks put on their doors to prevent break ins)

-Roof Rack

-Fab overhead switchs and indicators

-Ammo Can Arm Rest

-Solar Panels

-Custom Stereo Setup (currently have a dolby digital setup planned)

I'm sure there is some stuff I'm missing, but everyone on this form have given me so much inspiration, and I can't wait to make Spectr my own after I make sure he is good and healthy. Luckly my dad is a mechanic and is helping me learn. I am an electrical engineer by education, I'm learning the mechanic side.

Attachments

cucvrus

-Replace parking break switch (light is constantly on, I know the break isn't on, gotta troubleshoot that)

Does the light go off if you pull up on the e-brake pedal? Possible easy fix. Good Luck with the repairs. They all seem straight forward easy repairs. The horn can be a challenge. But should be simple.

WatchDawg

Does the light go off if you pull up on the e-brake pedal? Possible easy fix. Good Luck with the repairs. They all seem straight forward easy repairs. The horn can be a challenge. But should be simple.
It does not, Only time I've gotten it to go off is when I removed the switch , turned on, light went off, from what i read at least, that it's prob the switch, or least that's my best guess.

Thanks, and most of the repairs are doable, it's the unexpected ones I worry about, like suddenly broken head gasket, or something. The things that's got me the most frustrated is the heat, and Gen 1 light, but both getting worked on sat.

Horn I most likely will just replace, and or rewire anyway, I wanted to get something a bit more ridiculous, and I'll install a new switch for it...Thinking something like a 150db train horn :p

Last edited: