• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

just got a M35A2 Need Some Direction?

moorepower

I have wanted one of these since I was a kid. A friend and I have gone in together on this project which is a 1985 M35A2. I am starting with repairing leaks and tinkering around on it but have some plans that I could use some advise on. From what I have read it is best to disable the fuel regulating portion of the multifuel system as its only purpose is for drivability with alternative fuels but does not effect the ability to run multiple fuels. Also plan on ordering a pyro and boost gauge but want to find something that looks period correct in the truck. The hardest thing to figure out is tires and wheels. I have searched and seen so much info my head is spinning and a lot of use the search comments in which I have but most threads go off in a conversation and hard to find what I am looking for. Just some basic questions to answer. Duels vs Singles. Which ones are better in off road terrain? I want to know which is the most functional way to go. When I look at the pictures of the trucks with large tires I think they look great but don't see how there is enough room for the suspension to travel. I want to build a truck that will go through more mud and general off road conditions than it does now, not less to make it look pretty. Some of these tire wheel combos look like you would need a crane to change so that is something to take into consideration as well. I am trying to educate myself on mpt tires and not sure what the differences in everything are. If there is anyone out there that would let me pick there brain a little I would really appreciate it. I still have to complete my profile but I live in Raleigh NC so if there are any local clubs or groups to join I would be very interested in some information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Welcome!

Yes the super singles are heavy to move around, but the deuce is so front end heavy, if you plan on going off road, I'd say you should plan on running 365s or 395s.

moorepower

what makes the singles better than the duals. stock tires look like they would cut through any type of muck. Is it possible to change a single on the trail? sorry, all the upgrades are new to me. I always thought that all the truck I would look at just took a3 wheels an put on an a2 and that was a singled truck but from what i have seen that is the last option for most people for some reason in which I can't figure out. Wish i new some one close by that is knolegable and wouldn't mind talking to me for a few hours and answering all my questions as I am sure it gets old answering the same old questions just by different folks. Thanks for responding to me and offering some advice

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, the stock tires are narrow and cut down through the muck. The problem is that the front end is heavy and very often you end up with your axle housing pushing muck.

Singles spread the load out a bit better. Imho, of course.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have wanted one of these since I was a kid. A friend and I have gone in together on this project which is a 1985 M35A2. I am starting with repairing leaks and tinkering around on it but have some plans that I could use some advise on. From what I have read it is best to disable the fuel regulating portion of the multifuel system as its only purpose is for drivability with alternative fuels but does not effect the ability to run multiple fuels. Also plan on ordering a pyro and boost gauge but want to find something that looks period correct in the truck. The hardest thing to figure out is tires and wheels. I have searched and seen so much info my head is spinning and a lot of use the search comments in which I have but most threads go off in a conversation and hard to find what I am looking for. Just some basic questions to answer. Duels vs Singles. Which ones are better in off road terrain? I want to know which is the most functional way to go. When I look at the pictures of the trucks with large tires I think they look great but don't see how there is enough room for the suspension to travel. I want to build a truck that will go through more mud and general off road conditions than it does now, not less to make it look pretty. Some of these tire wheel combos look like you would need a crane to change so that is something to take into consideration as well. I am trying to educate myself on mpt tires and not sure what the differences in everything are. If there is anyone out there that would let me pick there brain a little I would really appreciate it. I still have to complete my profile but I live in Raleigh NC so if there are any local clubs or groups to join I would be very interested in some information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
When you get it on the road and about 200 hours of traveling then you can start degrading what was designed. How about just get it going down the road for a couple of whiles.

Not to worry, you both together could not possibly be bigger dreamers than just me alone.

............................ and where is the pictures?

moorepower

I will take some pictures this weekend and upload. I leave for work before the sun goes up and home after it is down, at least for the next couple of months. I would like to find some local folks to ride with and learn from. It has been a while since I have really researched these trucks. Five plus years ago I really started looking and dreaming of what I would do like air assist steering and so forth but a lot has changed including options as a lot of people are adapting parts from other applications to this truck. In the end I want a good reliable truck, that will blow a little smoke once i tinker with the injection pump, drives decent on the street, very capable off road even with a load as this would be my bug out vehicle if uncle sam tried some crazy stuff. My largest obstacle is budget as some of you guys spend more on wheels alone than I did for the entire rig. I guess you have to pay to play but I have limited PAY!!! Thank you for taking the time to reply and offer some guidance.

moorepower

my wife has already started getting into my arse because i have been glued to this site. Just hard to find what I am looking for as all the conversation is with experienced people who do not discuss what you guys would consider common knowledge. Maybe after a month I will have it figured out and be able to ask educated questions.

drivebymashing

I owned a deuce for about 2 years. Best 2 years of my life..... I thought about going to super singles but the 900x20s are so cheap... I never got my truck stuck in anything even in 2 foot snow drifts up hill.... have fun I ask uneducated questions all the time dont worry about it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I owned a deuce for about 2 years. Best 2 years of my life..... I thought about going to super singles but the 900x20s are so cheap... I never got my truck stuck in anything even in 2 foot snow drifts up hill.... have fun I ask uneducated questions all the time dont worry about it.
Narrow tires are better in snow.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
~ will take some pictures ~ find some local folks to ride with and learn from ~ like air assist steering and so forth ~ some guidance.
It is now 7200 for an un-modified Deuce in good repair with all the fittings intact.
You can buy a basket of Deuce and spend 400 hours labor and 5000 American dollars to get it on the road but can buy one done for the 7200. Kids around here rent $5000 worth of wheels and tires just for Saturday night for $1000. Your game, how much time and tools you got?
start here....................6345 posts
read this
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?67703-What-did-you-do-to-your-deuce-this-week

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put 395s on my deuce for the floatation and higher road speed. My off-roading involved sugar sand and I run pretty low pressures on the rears. I have spun the tires on the wheels when I had tubeless tire, resulting in instant flats. Current setup is MRAP wheels and tires with Peashooter's adapters, bead locks, and runflats. Airing up or down with six tires is easier than ten. Current tires only slightly rub the underside of the bed on full articulation.

sandcobra164

You have been warned the front end is Heavy!!

This is my old Deuce buried to the bumper. It has 11R20 Firestone T831 tires which are regarded as "pretty good" off road tires. The ground was pretty saturated due to 8 inches of rain coming down the day before. I felt the rear end digging in while moving forward which stopped forward progress. I engaged the front axle and almost instantly went a foot lower to the ground upon releasing the clutch. The good news is you can put a set of 395's on the front axle and likely prevent a situation like this by spreading the weight around. I wasn't even at a mud park when this calamity took place, I was in my parents yard.

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get your truck going on the road first, so you are familiar with it under normal conditions before you try to take it off-road. Remember - crawl, walk, run! You don't start at the olympics and work your way down.

Plan on attending the Denton Farm Park Rally in April. It's not that far from Raleigh, and you will meet several people from the Raleigh area there. There is plenty of time to polish your driving skills. Use it wisely!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks