• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just like a deuce

bugei

omfg,

this really good friend of mine retires after 30 years as a cop. goes across the country to pick up his dream car, a little pro street dragster. proudly drives his wheelying little baby around the block a few times, then blips the throttle pulling it into my shop, the throttle sticks and through the back wall he goes. not a good thing. fortunately, the car is very light, the tires were very fat, and the floor was very slippery, so the man door jamb stopped it and the car just fishtailed around until he could get it shut down. now the guy had a few heart issues, so as we pulled the car out of the wall (with jacks), then him out of the car, he began to get light headed and a bloody nose. one disaster at a time if you know what i mean. so instead of freaking, i got to keep my friend calm and tell him "it's ok, it's ok" and all that. fortunately for him, the car had a full tube chassis, so his damage was cosmetic, he can fix walls, and i had just moved a $100,000 custom show bike out of the bay 3 minutes before.

over all in my case to have a 700 hp dragster go off in an enclosed garage, and only loose a bit of wall and a door, not so bad.....considering

now letting a 14 year old drive your BRAND NEW elinor, JUST PLAIN DUMB

superburban

When I was 9 years old, I got to watch something like that...
....from the front!
My brother (10 years old) and I wanted to use the garage to work on a go-cart we had built, but some inconsiderate person had parked a van there. Since dad was at the farm, and mom was gone to town (we lived out in the country in Monatana), we decided that we could push it out of the garage ourselves. My bro got up in the drivers seat to steer, and told me to get in front to push.

I pushed with all of my might, to no availe. This was a 70's Chevy van with a "3-on-the-tree" manual trans. My bro, reasoned that perhaps the trans was in gear and that he should take it out of gear to be able to roll it out of the garage. He fiddled with the shifter for a while with no luck. He then, wrongly, assumed that perhaps you would have to have the key in the on position to be able to shift out of gear.

Now here is the wierd part: This van had a clutch safety switch. It functioned perfectly up to that point, and it functioned perfectly from that point untill the van was sold some 10 years later. But for some ironic cosmic reason, it didn't work at that exact moment. So, with me grunting and straining, pushing on the front bumper, my bro turned the key on, and much to his surprise (much more to my surprise), the engine turned over, propelling the van through the back wall of the garage.

I remember the whole thing like it happened in slow motion. The van jumped at me once, knocking me down on my arse, then it jumped at me again hitting me at about neck hight with it's bumper, pinning me between two studs, then it jumped again, pushing me, and the wall back about 2-3 feet. By that time, my bro had finally realized what was transpiring and shut the key off.

The van loosened it's grip on my neck (I dont know exactly why it did it, maybe my bro had finally found neutral!), and I got to my feet. I was bleeding from the mouth. I wasn't in any pain, but I could tell that I had broken a tooth, because every time I inhaled, my lower jaw felt like it was instantly freezing. I started walking around in circles looking for my tooth. This must have freaked out my brother, seeing his bloodied, flattened bro making like a chicken picking.

As luck would have it, my mom had forgotten her purse when she left for Great Falls, and had turned around and come home. She got home about 15 miniutes after our little adventure. She saw me running up the driveway to meet her, my shirt front covered in blood, blood still trickling out of my mouth. She gave me the quick "mother's instinct" once over and decided that I needed to go to the hospital. Out in the wild in Montana, it is almost always faster to drive yourself to the hospital, than to wait around for the ambulance, so she ruled that she would drive me the 30 miles to the hospital...
...in the van that just ran me over!

[Edit]: I ended up having a (very) broken jaw and a broken collar-bone.

Barrman

My son Colton who will be 9 next week almost ran me over when he was 3. I was sitting on a roll around shop stool in front of my Mini. He was wanting to "help" me work on it. I was redoing the clutch slave cylinder and needed to set the throw out bearing clearance with the engine running. I had already fired it up and shut it down twice. I told him to turn the key on so I could remote start it from the engine compartment. He must have bumped it into gear as he got in and instead of just turning on the key, he hit the starter.

It started in gear and came right at me. I rolled out of the way and the car stalled against the work bench. Unfortunately, the raised hood was just the right highth as the vise on the work bench. One scared boy and a lot of body work were the lessons learned that day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks