• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kaiser Jeep vs AM General differences

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just did a search and found no threads that question any slight differences in the manufacture of 5 tons between Kaiser-Jeep and AM General. I am sure they had the exact same specs and drawings, but there are always slight manufacturing differences and liberties that are taken - call it 'artistic licence'...

Only thing I have found so far on my M816 is the shape of the drain holes in the passenger side, body stop end. AM General - round, Kaiser - rectangular.
Pics in post # 6 & #7

I know this is a bit of a "rivet counters" obsession - I'm just curious.. I'm sure it's way more subtle than GPW / Willys differences.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I l have had a M813 by both manufactures, could not tell them apart. The Kaiser is a 71 with a tube type grill protector
the AMG is a 76 with a flat bar stock grill protector. Other than that it was just different manufactures data plates. Sold the 76 AMG to my neighbor, kept the KJ 71, it has a winch. I'll have to check the drain holes.

pjwest03

Well, they are the same company. Kaiser-Jeep purchased by AMC in 1970 and spun off into AM General Corporation as a wholly owned subsidiary. Both trucks would have indeed been produced in the same, originally Studebaker, facility in South Bend. Any differences would be production "improvements" as noted by NDT or change of mfg source for purchased parts.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cheers PJ. Hmmm, interesting. The Australian M816s are all listed as Kaiser Jeeps, they were procured in '73 I think..

M816 drain holes.jpg

Ill try to get pic of my AM General 'round holes' later.

Csm Davis

Cheers PJ. Hmmm, interesting. The Australian M816s are all listed as Kaiser Jeeps, they were procured in '73 I think..

View attachment 658166

Ill try to get pic of my AM General 'round holes' later.
That is because round holes are easier to make. But didn't Garwood make all 816 wrecker beds?
Just did a search and found no threads that question any slight differences in the manufacture of 5 tons between Kaiser-Jeep and AM General. I am sure they had the exact same specs and drawings, but there are always slight manufacturing differences and liberties that are taken - call it 'artistic licence'...

Only thing I have found so far on my M816 is the shape of the drain holes in the passenger side, body stop end. AM General - round, Kaiser - rectangular.
Pic in post # 6

I know this is a bit of a "rivet counters" obsession - I'm just curious.. I'm sure it's way more subtle than GPW / Willys differences.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is because round holes are easier to make.
...well may be in the plate when drilled, but these are on the very edge and the ones in mine look like they're gas cut - rough'ish, not at all drilled....
M816 rough hole.jpg
Rectangular ones could be simply punched or power nibbled when the plate is being cut.

But didn't Garwood make all 816 wrecker beds?
This I would not know - thought Garwood only made winches!!!

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No holes from factory would explain the gas cut ones on mine - done locally by someone tired of pools of rain water rusting stuff... Though for the rectangular holes done after (namely the Aussie ones), that poses more questions since Jeff mentioned, an inplace round hole would have been easier with just a big drill bit......

Anyone else with a 543 or 816 want to chime in...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks