• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Keyed ignition switch for HEMTT

Gunzy

Have any of you HEMTT/MK48/PLS owners ever converted to a keyed ignition switch? If so where did you get the switch and what was the part number. I want to do it but am having a little trouble trying to locate a switch the has the proper number of terminals on the back.
5407-1.jpgThis is what they usually have stock. cs201_primary.jpg This is the exact same switch from Oreilly BWD#CS201 for $40. cs114_primary.jpg This is a keyed one from Oreilly BWD#CS114 but is short one connector on the rear of it. Any one have suggestions? I will be inspecting the back of my switch later today to verify if all 5 connectors are in use. If anyone has a wire diagram for the ignition switch that may be very helpful. I have searched for the wiring pinouts for the switch but can't seem to find anything. I looked at maybe a keyed switch for a HUMMWV but they only have 3 wires. I appreciate any help.

JDToumanian

The original switch is a Cole Hersee brand. According to Matt (CastleBravo) the Cole Hersee 956-3122 or 956-3122-BX is a direct replacement, the only difference is that it is keyed. They're on eBay for $29 with free shipping, item 371426459352. I haven't done it to mine yet but it's on my very long to-do list.

Jon

JDToumanian

It's possible it's the same... Cole Hersee makes a lot of the store-branded items, like NAPA brand, but I personally wouldn't use one of the generic made-in-China switches. If you've taken one apart you know how crappy they are. Like, fire hazard crappy.

Jon

Gunzy

OK, I now have a keyed ignition in my HEMTT. The BWD #CS114 is a direct replacement. It has one less connector on the back(labeled ground) but it is not used on the HEMTT and if it is cycled to start, it will not go to start again without cycling it off. Like a Euro car. The new BWD keyed switch took all of 5 minute to change out and works fine and now I have a little security.
Original switch006.jpg Back of original008.jpg
Back of replacement010.jpgreplacement installed012.jpg
And the new keys015.jpgThey look like motorcycle keys. The switch cost about $50.

JDToumanian

They look like motorcycle keys.
They look like the keys to my lawnmower...

The eBay item number I posted above has a higher security key and twice the amperage rating, but they're both Cole Hersee. Then I thought about it... There isn't much power going through the ignition switch on a HEMTT, and it's so easy to start a HEMTT without the ignition switch anyway. There's something wrong with mine at the moment... Power comes on but no start with the switch, so I just start it with a piece of wire at the starter solenoid. I need to replace the ignition switch or check/replace the neutral safety switch.