• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Knuckle Boot Problem - ME TOO!

houdel

I have a similar problem as Banshee365 - The inner clamp on my left steering knuckle boot keeps coming off. When I brought the truck home from the DRMO, I noticed grease coming out from around the inner boot seal. I assumed the boot had a tear, and ordered a new boot and set of clamps from Saturn Surplus.

Only after cutting off the old boot did I realize the boot was not torn, but the inner clamp was off (I don't recall if the inner clamp was broken or the bolt had broken or just become undone). In any event, I cleaned everything up real good, wiped out all the old grease and then cleaned the knuckle first with mineral spirits and then with acetone to make sure the knuckle was clean as a whistle. I put it back together, feeling completely around the inner clamp as I tightened it to make sure the boot was fully in the knuckle groove. Once I had the inner clamp good and tight I installed the outer clamp, pulled out both grease vent plugs, and pumped a tube of grease into the fittings, reinstalled the vent plugs and congradulated myself on a job well done.

About two weeks later I was crawling around under the truck and found the inner clamp was off again and grease was oozing out. I called up Saturn, bitched them out for sending me a bad clamp, and had them send me another inner clamp free of charge.

With new inner clamp in hand, I set about to reinstall the boot again. Much to my surprise, the inner clamp was fine, apparently the nut on the clamp bolt had loosened up enough to allow the inner seal to slip off again!

OK, I cleaned everything up again, made sure I had the inner boot seal and clamp securely in the groove, tightened the inner clamp well, and this time ran a lock washer and jam nut up tight against the first nut to make sure it would not loosen again.

Today, I was under the truck again, and guess what? The inner clamp was off again and grease was oozing out of the inner seal again!

What am I doing wrong? Both times I carefully felt around the perimeter on the inner boot and clamp and was certain it was properly seated in the groove. Both times I pulled the grease vent plugs before greasing the joint. What is going wrong here? I only used one tube of grease each time, grease was NOT coming out of the vents, so I don't think I had too much grease forcing the boot off its seat.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the inner boot seal and clamp to stay in place? I did reuse my outer boot clamp, it appered to be a better design and had a self locking nut, while the inner clamps from Saturn are a two piece design and do not look as durable. (you can see the difference betwwen the clamps in the pictures).. My only thought is to JB weld the crimped on part on the inner clamp to the wire ring, just in case that part is sliding on the wire, causing the clamp to loosen.

BTW, I did call Saturn and apologize about stating their inner clamp was defective, and I did pay them for the second inner clamp they sent me!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't tell from the pic but are the boots oriented correctly as far as the top and the mark on the boot? Just thinking out loud!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i understand that if a SELF LOCKING nut is NOT used it will loosen up everytime

houdel

The boot isn't marked for the top, on the other side the zipper is at 90 degrees to the rear, so I installed the new boot same as the old one, zipper at 90 degrees to the front. No, I did not bend the inner clamp bolt (missed that in the directions the first time), but on the second install I used a lock washer and a jam nut to (hopefully) keep the nut from backing off.

The most significant difference I can see is the old outer clamp is a one piece design with the wire at each end bent 90 degrees and a loop formed in the wire for the bolt (look real close at the last picture to see what I mean). The new clamps from Saturn are a two piece design. One end of the wire is bent and formed into a loop like the old clamp, the other end has a piece of flat stock crimped around the other end of the wire, the end of the flat stock is bent up 90 degrees and has a hole for the bolt to pass through (not real clear, but you can get the idea from the first picture). My guess is that the crimp on the wire is not tight enough and the wire has backed out enough to loosen up the clamp load. When I took off the first Saturn clamp, I could twist the crimped on part around the wire.

My only thought is to solder and/or JB Weld the crimped on end to keep it from moving. I'm really getting tired of redoing this boot!

MATT

From your pictures it looks like your inner clamp screw is in the WRONG location. The screw needs to be at the top of the knuckle assemby. WHy? Because when you turn the steering wheel the knuckle moves and there is not enough clearance between the rotating assemby. I found this out the hard way after doing 6 steering knuckle boots on the road. Put the inner clamp and boot on the turn the wheel, you will see the clearance issues.

houdel

MATT said:
From your pictures it looks like your inner clamp screw is in the WRONG location. The screw needs to be at the top of the knuckle assemby. WHy? Because when you turn the steering wheel the knuckle moves and there is not enough clearance between the rotating assemby. I found this out the hard way after doing 6 steering knuckle boots on the road. Put the inner clamp and boot on the turn the wheel, you will see the clearance issues.
Matt - I think you hit the nail on the head. After carefully rereading the assembly instructions, it CLEARLY states that screw, nut and clamp MUST be postioned at the TOP of the axle housing, even though the illustration shows them on the SIDE of the housing! I also bought new screws and Nylock nuts just to be sure I get it right this time.

Hopefully, the third time will be the charm! Thanks, Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks