• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

L3 OFNW8-30747 Load Demand Start Stop, Basler 2020 Generator Control System

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks,

the topic of the OFNW8-30747 Load Demand Start Stop came up today and there is a lot of mysticism and wishful thinking of what this system can do and what not.

I am going to try to keep this as simple as possible.

The core in this system is the Basler DGC 2020 with the ECU 2020 equipped Generator.

The DGC communicates with the ECU (Engine Control Unit) via CAN Bus with either SAE J1939 or MTU Protocol

This provides general generator operation as with the CIM and TCM100 in the 805B/806B or the DCS for the AMMPS. The AMMPS DCS has the ECU, AVR, Exciter and Governor Control all built into the DCS.

Basler offers the following extension modules which communicate via CAN Bus with DGC

AEM-2020 (Analog Expansion Module)
CEM-2020 (Contact Expansion Module)
LSM-2020 (Load Share Module)

Now the big question, can it do remote start / stop

The answer is Yes, IF.............:

The DGC Style (Part Number) contains "R" for RS-485 Communication Port

4.jpg

So, and now the fun begins:

You will have to find a device which interfaces with your ATS which has a 2 wire Input and a RS-485 Port and runs MODBUS Protocol and you can write the software to set the following MODBUS Registers in the DGC 2020:

Control Register 43752:
0 = Disable
1 = Enable

PARAMETER SETTINGS 40020: Remote Start / Stop: Runs when in Auto mode
0 =Stop
1 =Start

If you don't know what this means then I would stop here and look for a standalone auto / remote start system.

Besides this, you also need to add the Basler ECU 2020 to control your engine and AVR etc.

All this has to be converted from whatever you got in your Genset.

The Military uses them only for Mini Grid Systems with multiple TQ's paralleled.
All Genset's are usually started manually but can be shut down remotely.
I hope that demystifies these Units

Peter

P.S. for $ 15.00 to 50.00 on government auction they are a great deal, especially with the 24V Battery Charger.

3.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spoke with someone in CECOM, and he told me that this thing was more or less a failure. I dont KNOW that for sure, but thats the word I got. Perhaps someone with experience could chime in?
Failure in this sense that the Military switched to Photovoltaic since 2009 and this program started in the 2000's.
The Mini Grids for all TQ's are now a mix of primarily Photovoltaic with Battery Banks, using Gensets only when there is not enough sun light.
They retrofitted a whole bunch 803's 805B's in 2016/2017 and now the AMMPS with our auto start board so the inverter / charger can start the gensets to charge Battery Banks when they run low.

Peter