• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Landmark Mfg???

ah1955

Just a WAG but I think GL site person listed wrong, sure looks like an AM General to me. Did notice looks like air steering on it, if that would make a defferance.

I noticed many of these being listed for the August Auction. I wondered the same thing and did notice the air steering as well. Some are not dual rear wheels, some are dressed in single wheels per axle. Almost seems like a modified duece. It seems odd that GL would list them wrong on many different auction location sites. Hmmm?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reviewed the pics of the 4 of them at MCLB Barstow. Could confirm that 2 of them had air steer. Also the data plates appear very shiny. Perhaps Landmark is a civilian contractor that did some type of a depot overhaul of sorts on them and re-data plated them. Thats about the only thing I can figure.

houdel

Notice the early style handbrake lever in the slide show for the one Will had the link to? Must be an oldie. "2031 miles, 1762 hours"? Something got swapped out. It looks fairly decent though.

houdel

NEIOWA said:
WillWagner said:
I know, not supposed to post GL finds, /quote]

Nonsense. Post away. Anyone that wants to bid, go bid, or not.
My thoughts exactly. Better to alert a fellow SS member to a potential steal than have it quietly snapped up by Oshkosh or some other mongrel sleazebag. However, certain members of this board feel once they have targeted a particular vehicle on GL or GSA, it is their personal property and no one else should be allowed to bid on it. I have no problem with those persons stating they are bidding on a particular vehicle and REQUESTING other members not bid them up on it, but after all, this is a free marketplace. However, those who choose to flame others for posting links to good deals on GL/GSA can stuff it where the sun don't shine, IMHO!

I, for one, will post great GL/GSA deals for the benefit of my fellow SS members. I will continue to do so until Chris or another moderator states that such postings are not allowed. When that happens, I will terminate my SS membership and find another board. As I understand it, this board is about SHARING INFORMATION and ideas, not KEEPING SECRETS! When keeping secrets becomes more important than sharing information with fellow board members, it is time for me to get out!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aw, c'mon, something good, like M105 canvas??!! :roll: That's a blower or plow of some kind?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
houdel said:
My thoughts exactly. Better to alert a fellow SS member to a potential steal than have it quietly snapped up by Oshkosh or some other mongrel sleazebag. However, certain members of this board feel once they have targeted a particular vehicle on GL or GSA, it is their personal property and no one else should be allowed to bid on it. I have no problem with those persons stating they are bidding on a particular vehicle and REQUESTING other members not bid them up on it, but after all, this is a free marketplace. However, those who choose to flame others for posting links to good deals on GL/GSA can stuff it where the sun don't shine, IMHO!

I, for one, will post great GL/GSA deals for the benefit of my fellow SS members. I will continue to do so until Chris or another moderator states that such postings are not allowed. When that happens, I will terminate my SS membership and find another board. As I understand it, this board is about SHARING INFORMATION and ideas, not KEEPING SECRETS! When keeping secrets becomes more important than sharing information with fellow board members, it is time for me to get out!
Well, Lee asked me to get into this sharing of GL/GSA auctions, so here goes.

My official position on this has been to not take an official position. Some of you may suggest that I am taking the easy way out or dodging the issue, but what I am actually trying to do is maintain SS as an open forum for the free exchange of ideas and information. This means that you will have to govern yourselves to some extent. I am not going to rule with an iron fist and I'm not going to rule with a kid glove either.

The whole auction thing is a hotly contested issue. There are equally passionate people on both sides of the fence. My personal thinking is that if the item in question is in some obscure location where no member who is doing their homework would find it, then another member could offer to share it in a PM. If it is in a place where anyone who is searching for an item could easily find it, then leave it alone. The auction business is simple. He who has the most money wins. Companies like Oshkosh, Memphis, Boyce, Clark, etc... make their living off of scouring the GSA, GL and other auction sites for good trucks to turn into profits. Good for them for doing their homework and having the cash to make it happen.

The price of scrap is so high right now that salvage yards and surplus businesses are sending hundreds of parts and trucks to the shredder. Members have tried to rescue trucks, but were told no way. Now, GL is selling whole fleets of vehicles and piles of parts as scrap contracts. If some of the rumors come true, then the demil BQ sales will end and they'll all go to the scrappers. Times are changing folks.

For any member to think so little of their membership and time spent here, that they would threaten to leave the site if a rule is made one way or the other, disturbs me. I don't want anyone to get pissed and leave, but you guys do whatever you need to do. I'm not going to beg you to stay.

Just use your common sense folks. Don't crap all over each other. People that want to post every auction they see need to show some restraint and really think before posting. People who's blood boils at the site of an auction post need to take a deep breath and keep the scathing remarks to a minimum, especially if it is a new member.

mangus580

RE: Re: Landmark Mfg???

To go along with this... the way I have intended/interperted the ruling was to avoid posting auctions and saying things like the following:

Please dont bid against me
Is anyone bidding on this, I dont want to bid against them
Showing things you found in a search, odd items you would like to share or anything along those lines is perfectly fine. Lets just not make it look like we are 'fixing' bids.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks