• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Large Item Shipping Questions

ultanium

First post here, please be gentle! I'm interested in several large scale items on GL, bulldozers, cranes, etc. Unfortunately everything I'm looking at is on either the east coast or the west coast, and I'm located in Texas... Any suggestions on:

a) how to load the items at the site if they are not running.

b) a shipper who could handle larger jobs like this.

c) should I just buy an M916 & M172 and do it myself.

I appreciate any advice, loading up 60k+ lbs in a strange town just doesn't sound fun (or cheap), then permits and fuel to Texas would make it too costly. I don't want to bid without having all my ducks in a row. Thanks!

Tom Johnson
Houston, Tx

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, welcome to the site. Here are some answers to your questions.
a. It is the buyer's responsibility to load. With that being said, GL reps on site will often assist in the loading. Talk to the local GL reps, don't bother with the GL folks in Arizona.
b. There are many shippers that can handle large jobs. However, they are not inexpensive for obvious reasons. GL can provide some options for you.
c. Doing it yourself is always an option if you have the proper equipment and skillset.

I try to never buy anything at a great distance, no matter how good a deal it is. A good deal coupled with a crippling delivery expense = a bad deal.

3dAngus

Tom,

Every state at the GL website has a listing of contractors that help pack and/or ship.

Contact one of the contractors at the location you wish to bid on.

If they don't do bulldozers, they can tell you who can.

You will probably get your best answers this way.

You may get better prices here on SS where some members like to do this kind of stuff and have the equipment too, but it will depend on a number of factors, like where it is, and where it is going to. So, until you bid and buy, I recommend you start your research at the various state shippers listed on the GL page. You can learn a lot that way, and even develop a listing for personal use.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
c) should I just buy an M916 & M172 and do it myself.
Do you have a Class 8 CDL and valid Medical Card?

Have you ever driven a Class 8 tractor pulling an overweight/oversized load?

Do you know how to load and secure odd sized vehicles or equipment including how to axle out a load to avoid being too heavy on one axle?

Can you safely manuver a big rig in all kinds of weather conditions and traffic?

Do you know the DOT rules for driver Hours of Service and how to fill out a log book?

Have you ever done a pre-trip inspection on a Class 8 truck?

Do you know the DOT requirements for Owner Operators in reference to annual inspections of your equipment?

Have you priced commercial insurance for Commercial Vehicles?

Have you pulled into a truck stop and put 100 gallons of diesel in a truck lately?

Do you have enough cash or a credit card to cover any emergencies you mght have while doing a recovery?

There is a reason shipping cost so much.

I was a commerical driver for many years and you could not run fast enough to give me an over the road truck in these economic times.

Not trying to rain on your parade but there are a lot of things to consider before jumping off into this kind of endeavor.

ultanium

Wreckerman, you do have a way with words! The answer to most of your questions is no, so I'll have to look at some other options as Angus & Gary suggested. I haven't driven a truck since '86, and then it was just local. Unless these things go dirt cheap, then I'll probably pass. Plan B was to get a couple tractors & trailers from Pineville & Hooks, at least they are close. I was in the communications tower business & need them to get back to work. The crane would have been perfect... Thanks everyone.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To move dead machines takes a RGN (removable goose neck) trailer and a truck with a big winch behind the cab. These type trucks are considered "special equipment" and get upwards of $4.00 a mile. Driving a 35 year old M916 with a 45 year old M172 cross country, even legally, is almost as expensive, when you consider you have to go there and back. The type equipment you are looking for comes up for sale in Texas all the time. You just have to be patient.