• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Latest issue< front end shake(side to side)

Lindsaym151

Ok, new tires, new wheel studs, tires inflated to 50 psi.
On the way back to the barni was getting some steering shake at around 45 mph and up.
Could be a alignment issue ? The mechanic said all tie rods and links looked good.
The truck didn't do this before the install of new tires.
Thanks in advance!
Lindsay Orr

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'd call that a dynamic balance issue. I'd either swap 2 different tires to the front or have your fronts balanced.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Toe in is the only thing I remember being able to adjust. How do the tires look, new vs old? Do the old ones have worn flat spots on one side or even wear? If the old tires were cupped and you have new ones now, things will need to be tweaked or you will wind up with new, worn out tires in less than 1000 miles.

Lindsaym151

That's what it is! the right side front tire was almost GONE on the outer side .Left one not so much!
Iwill get it aligned this week!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
toe in is as simple as a tape measure, mark a line or put a small screw in the tire (really) and measure front and then roll it back and measure there. i seriously doubt that toe would cause shake, are you positive that the flaps were removed from the tire before mounting? that is almost a common mistake and over 45 it will really go crazy.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Last edited:

dmetalmiki

note

The Army refers to it as a "liner".

TM 9-2320-209-3-2. Section 14.

Flap (liner) goes in between the tire and tube so the tube doesn't chafe against the tire and leak.

I am sure that was meant to read " "the flap (liner) goes between the TUBE and Wheel RIM to prevent the tube chaffing on the Inner wheel rim."" (as) in a combat rim for a ww11 jeep etc, NOT fitting a flap (liner) WILL cause PUNCTURES (plural!) where the tube (when inflated) is forced into the gap where the two halfs are bolted together.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the out of balance would have to be extreme to cause wobble, up to 16 oz out there is no point balanceing them, a flap is several pounds and over 40 will cause the tire to almost leave the road. jack up the front and remove the hub drive plates to see if one or both have a heavy spot.

Lindsaym151

oK,
jUST WENT OUT AND DID A COMPLETE WALK AROUND ON THE TRUCK.
fOUND 1 REAR TIRE FLAT AND ANOTHER AT ABOUT 15 PSI.
jUST GOES TO SHOW YOU do the work YOURSELF! tOOK IT FOR A TEST RIDE AND ALL WAS GOOD TO ABOUT 45 MPH AND STARTED TO SHAKE AGAIN.

Sorry caps lock was on.
I let go of the steering wheel at about 35 mph and she took a nose dive to the right! It's gotta be the alignment at this point.
Does any one know of a thread with pics on how to align this beast?
I got two weeks off and want to drive her not wet nurse her!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
sorry to disagree, toe is the only adjustment and it won't cause pulling, just tire wear. like I said before, you just need a tape measure and 2 screws to check it. did you check for a flap in the tire? yours sounds like a classic case.

ATPTac

sorry to disagree, toe is the only adjustment and it won't cause pulling, just tire wear. like I said before, you just need a tape measure and 2 screws to check it. did you check for a flap in the tire? yours sounds like a classic case.
Thank you! I have argued with COUNTLESS people that toe will NOT cause a pull, only tire wear and an off center steering wheel. I got into a pretty heated argument with my service manager at work a while back about this, and he tried to tell me that in the Hunter training class they said extreme toe will cause a pull. Being that I've been to a Hunter training class and they specifically said that toe will never cause a pull (plus if anybody takes a few minutes to think about the dynamics of it, it makes sense), I guess he was trying to pull out some BS to make his argument valid.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Thank you! I have argued with COUNTLESS people that toe will NOT cause a pull, only tire wear and an off center steering wheel. I got into a pretty heated argument with my service manager at work a while back about this, and he tried to tell me that in the Hunter training class they said extreme toe will cause a pull. Being that I've been to a Hunter training class and they specifically said that toe will never cause a pull (plus if anybody takes a few minutes to think about the dynamics of it, it makes sense), I guess he was trying to pull out some BS to make his argument valid.
well, to be fair, if the toe was out an extreme amount, like several inches and it was really obvious that the tires were aimed in different directions, then the tire with the most traction would pull that way. but in reality if it is just tire wear issue then no 'pull'. toe out will cause wandering on paved roads, but still this is not really pull.

there is a great deal of ignorance when it comes to alignment issues, many say you cannot align a vehicle with worn tires, but as long as the ride heigth is correct, the steering geometry does not care how much tread is on a tire.

Last edited:

Hainebd

Toe out can cause a pull. You have a shake. Swap front for rear tire see if shake changes. Mine shakes for the first few miles due to flat spots from sitting. Normal on bias ply tire.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Toe out can cause a pull. You have a shake. Swap front for rear tire see if shake changes. Mine shakes for the first few miles due to flat spots from sitting. Normal on bias ply tire.
wrong. toe out does not cause pull, which is always to one side, it causes wandering, an entirely different thing.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think brake drag on one spindle would cause a pull and when combined with excessive toe in, would cause a big pull.