• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDS hydraulic pump fit a LDT

Scoobie-Steve

Just wanted to know if the hydraulic pump mounted in front of the injector pump on a LDS will fit a LDT? Also if it will does anyone have or know where I can get one with all the needed couplings and such. I am thinking about using a torque generator for power steering, but I need a pump first.

Jones

We tried torque multipliers(generators) on some Unimogs and found that they got real squirrely at road speeds. Way too sensitive to steering wheel course corrections. Have you thought about power steering off of a 5 tonner? Might be something to look into. Power steering is a great idea and I just wanted to give you another option to consider.

Scoobie-Steve

Jones thanks for the info. I havent worked with torque generators before but I know they are used on low speed heavy equipment. Do you know the flow rate in gpm you were providing? possible less flow would have been better? I figured with the deuces slow steering ratio all would be fine, but maybe not. Also will they work at all without oil flow(stalled engine)??

I havent looked into the price of a 5 ton conversion but any other kit has been way too much. I was figuring on doing the torque gen for a few hunderd and with a pretty easy install.

Anymore info you can provide would be great.

Jones

The units we were using came from Germany to be used with Unimogs with trenchers, brush hogs or other slow travel impliments. Not sure what the GPM was 'cause it was all designed to be used together. Never tried one with the engine off but that would definately be something you would want to have ironed out before you went to all the work and expense. Some torque multipliers go inline with the steering shaft and still work with no hyd. pressure. Some though, replace the steering shaft and unless you've got pressure, you ain't got nothin'.
The 5 ton M-809s use a power steering pump that's belt driven and looks like an oversized automotive unit. It's hoses go to a steering-box for power assist. Look for the 20P manual for the 809s in the tech section and you should be able to find pictures of the set-up. The front mounted, gear driven pump and it's remote tank
routed to the 809 box might be a consideration for you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks