• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT 465 D Turbo "Non Multi fuel"?

oddshot

I've found a Deuce I am thingking HARD about.

It is powered by a LDT 465 D Turbo engine ... that is marked "NON MULTI FUEL".

One of the main considerations for swapping by beloved Ford Pickup would be for the multifuel capability.

What is the deal here ... is this DEFIANTLY a "non-multifuel engine"? or is that some sort of government propaganda?

I would be considering this truck as a heavy duty, multi-fuel "TEOTWAWKI" vehicle.

If it matters, I would be bobbing this truck.

Is this a "bad" engine" for my purposes?

oddshot

SEAFIRE

Does the engine have a yellow sticker on one of the oil filter housings like in the attached picture

If so the FDC is probably bypassed meaning the engine is set-up to run on diesel fuel only.
last year we picked up two brand new / rebuilt LDT 465 1D engines that were set up for diesel only, BUT, the instructions were included in the shipping containers on how to convert the engines back to multifuel.

As the previous posters stated, it IS a multi-fuel engine, just set up to run on Diesel only. Based on our experiences, engines with the FDC bypassed run better, but others will disagree.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Does the engine have a yellow sticker on one of the oil filter housings like in the attached picture

If so the FDC is probably bypassed meaning the engine is set-up to run on diesel fuel only.
last year we picked up two brand new / rebuilt LDT 465 1D engines that were set up for diesel only, BUT, the instructions were included in the shipping containers on how to convert the engines back to multifuel.

As the previous posters stated, it IS a multi-fuel engine, just set up to run on Diesel only. Based on our experiences, engines with the FDC bypassed run better, but others will disagree.

Make no mistake, the motor is multifuel by its internal components. The FDC is just a means to keep the power output the same over a broad range of fuels. I know the military applies stickers that say diesel fuel only when the FDC is bypassed, but it is still ready and able to run multi-fuels. Feel free to ask questions if I left out anything.

tco3129

Excuse my innorance, but what does FDC stand for? My deuce also has the yellow sticker but the previous owner ran waste ATF for 9 years.

DieselBob

Fuel Density Compensator

From TM 9-2910-226-34, Direct Support and General Support Maintenance Manual (Including Repair Parts and Special Tools Lists)
For PUMP, FUEL, METERING AND DISTRIBUTING, ASSEMBLY 2910-178-1185, 2910-759-5410, 2910-908-6320, 2910-968-6317
AND 2910-116-8241

"The fuel density compensator (when used) is mounted on the governor housing. The fuel density compensator automatically varies the quantity of fuel delivered to the engine so that the maximum power output of the engine remains constant regardless of the type of fuel being used."

Last edited:
My 1972 AM General M35A2 has a LDT 465 1D with a dataplate on the leftside(Passenger side) with a Oct 1987 date stamped on it. I havn't got the yellow sticker on the oil filter. I've only ran diesel in it so far. There seems to be a lot of information on this subject. If I remember right my FDC is still hooked up and not bypassed. the turbo is not a "Whistler" It was made by Hercules and runs like a top. It has approxximately 20,000 miles on it.Good luck in your quest for more information.

RAYZER

My deuce has the yellow sticker on the oil filter can that reads "diesel fuel only", my fdc is bypassed and I run wmo in her all the time with no issues.:grd::grd:

Heavysteven

Mine an has that same yellow sticker. I run straight diesel and one quart of transmission fluid.

Which reminds me to try seafoam on the next fill up.

Oh just a thought I would watch the quality of any thing you put in your tank. Water, metals, and food particles will clog your filters. I know I have read at least two break down threads because of bad fuel.

Biodiesel seems to attract cats for some reason. Smells like chinse I think.

RAYZER

Mine an has that same yellow sticker. I run straight diesel and one quart of transmission fluid.

Which reminds me to try seafoam on the next fill up.

Oh just a thought I would watch the quality of any thing you put in your tank. Water, metals, and food particles will clog your filters. I know I have read at least two break down threads because of bad fuel.

Biodiesel seems to attract cats for some reason. Smells like chinse I think.
I agree. Proper filtering of wmo is imperative! I run mine through a double 5 Micron filter and water separator before use.