• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LDT weight vs. 6BT weight

superburban

I have heard of folks swapping a Cummins 6BT into a duece with acceptable results, but I just got to wondering if the reverse would even be possible/feasable. How much more does a LDT weigh fully dressed. How much bigger is an LDT than a 6BT? The durability to affordability ratio of a Multifuel cant be beat and I was thinking that having one in a one-ton or even a 1 1/2 ton dually pickup truck would be super fun (if for no other reason than the "freak factor").
Waddya think?

David_4x4

The LDT is something like 150+ci more than the 6bt. But total size over the other and all that I dont know.

My guess is that a 1 ton truck wont have the front end to go height and length of the motor, I could very well be wrong. But I dont see a LDT being swapped in my 3/4 ton Dodge or at least in a feasible manner.

spicergear

"6BT weighs approximately 1000# dry..." found on a swap site.

Cool swap, multifuel in pick up- yep. Freak...somewhat, but not as much of a freak as the front axle you'll have to put in. :) I have, however, seen 3208 CAT in late '80's Chevy dually. Don't know what was done though-

Elwenil

It's no big deal. Just swap the engine in and then put a Deuce Rockwell front axle and suspension under it to support it. then you will need a transmission to live behind the LDT so you might as well use the Deuce tranny also. You better put the rear axle under the truck also, just to keep the brakes balance and the bolts pattern the same. Then you might want to think about the frame, since the pickup wasn't designed to handle all that weight and stress.

In the end you might as well swap the pickup cab onto the Deuce frame, which has been done with varying degrees of success. The best one I have seen was on eBay a few years ago. I think it used a Dodge D600 cab and a flatbed behind it. Pretty interesting setup.

superburban

jatonka

Yeah, my thought is put a 5.9 in a deuce and crank it. I'm working on a DT International right now in a deuce but my next one will be a 5.9 Cummins. NO Doubr at all. JT

superburban

I cant have a truck that I dont "freak up" a bit, so this was intended only to explore the possibility. From the sounds of it, though, it would be a waste to attempt.

Dieselsmoke

If you've already got a truck with the 5.9 and want to 'freak it up' pay a visit to my friend Richard in St. George LINK or my friends Zane & Casey in Sandy LINK
Tell them hi for me and ask for a ride.
8)