• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ldt4651d head gasket issue

I am not sure if the slobber tube is clogged but I will check today its the newer style head gasket with tabs. I always appreciate any and all suggestions Im not sure if oil pressure or compression is the issue 60psi is what gauge reads no oil in water or vise versa.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please post a picture. A "leak" is not necessarily a problem - depending on where and how much it leaks, and when.
An interim step would be to take a torque wrench and check the torque of the head bolts (engine cold). Ensure torqued to the specs for the new head gasket. I do not recall the exact value, so I will not speculate.

its leaking under #1 cylinder exaust port and #4 its not gushing I didnt know if tighting head bolts would help its got a rebuild tag from 1987. I ll try to post pics its not from valve cover.

I ll have to get to a computer to get the torque specs from TMs. I ll try to get pics when my miss gets home shes gonna help me wheel my tandem the rest of the way out her and my kids are a great help god bless em.

Ford Mechanic

Is it by chance leaking out of the bottom of the exhaust manifold at those ports? Mine is, I believe it to be due to leaking valve stem seals. I removed exhaust and intake manifolds cleaned it all up and replaced all gaskets due to a broken manifold at a exhaust port got it looking nice, and checked it the next week and it was tracking oil right back down the sides of the block and head out of the exhaust ports.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The tab headgaskets are the old style, not new. Re-torque the head bolts and call it a day. They are made with leakage deaigned into the gasket.

sandcobra164

I've got the same issue, albeit to a less extent. Mine weeps enough oil to stain the passenger side of the block and attract dust. I'm just going to run it as is as my truck will probably be 5.9 Cummins powered one day. The motor in it now takes 5 gallons of oil, it can drip a little and be fine with me. My issue is head gasket related as well. Mine's powered by a "New" in 92' Hercules. It only started weeping when I started hauling "heavy loads" and has dried up as I hauled lighter stuff. By "Heavy", I used the truck to pull an M817 by towbar and some MK-14 trailers and one MK-18 trailer. The heaviest weight wise would be the M817. I think that the military tried to fix the head gasket issue with trucks in regular use. Alot of our's have sat for who know's how long and we're just now putting them to use.

I saw a thread on it I knew I would need a wrench to make it I briefly read up on it when I first noticed my leak I ll have to get the TMs printed at the library for the job then make this frankenstien socket LOL.

I had mine sit over the winter because of needing inspected I bought last february and I put over 4000 miles on it in 7 months I hauled some scrap hear and there and pulled my m105 trailer but nothing that heavy LOL. Its been a good truck and now my father has passed I just dont want to sell something I love so much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks