• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Learned something today!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any time I learn something about my deuce is a good day! Although the learning process is sometimes Darwinian, today wasn't so bad. Driving to work today, my clutch fell to the floor with a THUNK. "Ok", I thought, "no clutch. Red light". Being as I drive commercially, my first thought was to "float" the gears. That slowed me enough to time the light and catch it green. After arriving at work, I sent a text to my "deuce guru" DLAwbrey, who helped me troubleshoot (told me what I probaby broke). Turns out there is a linkage pin that has a habit of coming out. Being as I have never seen the pin prior to this issue, I can't tell if it is supposed to screw on or if there is a retaining pin. All I know for sure is there is now a 3/4" bolt with washers and a nylock nut holding the assembly together which WILL be checked regularly from now on.

kurtkds

Am I thinking that the pin that fell out is the one with a spring loaded ball in the end/side if the pin to allow for "easy" removal.

Anybody???

I was crawling around underneath mine last week looking things over and saw the 1/2" dia. or so pin that appeared to have had the nut sheared off! Upon further inspection and pulling it apart I figured out what is was doing.

I think I like the idea of a Secure fastener holding critical parts together.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Good job on avoiding bloodshed this time! I had a similar experience once, when I learned what happens when the accelerator return spring fails. Luckily I managed to keep a cool head and get the truck pulled over safely. I was on the way to pick up a trailer and commo shelter from a friend who also has deuces, so he grabbed the return spring off of one of his trucks and started heading towards me. He stopped at a hardware store along the way and bought a suitable replacement for me. After an easy roadside repair, the rest of the day was pleasantly uneventful.

:driver:

poppop

Just be parpared. Lose the clutch jeck it into neutal. I have driven several farm trucks home with no clutch. Shut down for stops if you can't time them, crank engine in lowest gear and shift up with no clutch. Throtle spring lets go, kill the engine and fix. Happened to me on my lawn mower just last Sunday. No clutch means it will not release like when the fingers are burned off the pressure plate.

pa.rich

There are alot of cotter pins on these trucks and they wear to the point that the 1/2 inch dowels can work there way out when you least expect it. I was under my five ton dump changing fluids and saw a few doubtful ones and replaced them. A washer and some oil will help this too. It pays to throw a piece of cardboard down under the truck and lay under there with a drop lite and just study things once in a while. Give it an inspection. All the linkages, air lines, fuel lines bolts, etc. Spend a half hour relaxing under there. And CHOCK the wheels!

randyscycle

pa.rich said:
It pays to throw a piece of cardboard down under the truck and lay under there with a drop lite and just study things once in a while. Give it an inspection. All the linkages, air lines, fuel lines bolts, etc. Spend a half hour relaxing under there. And CHOCK the wheels!
Most definitely! I do just that, although its with a creeper on the shop floor. Take a really good look in all the corners, crevices, etc. It is surprising sometimes what you may find, but better finding it in the shop than on the side of the road far from home or worse yet possibly causing an accident.

Jakob

I just want to echo pa.rich: If you are under the truck, CHOCK THE WHEELS. Once these things start rolling, it takes a lot to stop them. Be safe gents and gals ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks