• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED Bulbs? Also LMC no longer carrying parts for M1008/K30???

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all, been a while since I posted anything. I am doing some work and upgrades to my '86 M1008. Just ordered a set of Truck-Lite 27450C LED headlights a few days ago. A much needed upgrade in my opinion. I hate driving at night with the stock headlights, especially with all the deer on our country roads here.

Anyway, I looked up LMC to see if they had some parts I was looking for... but for some reason I can't find the K30 listed anymore??? Only K10 and K20's... Tried a bunch of different years just for the heck of it, but nothing. Its been a while since I have ordered anything from them. Did they stop carrying K30 parts?? Or do they just have it listed differently??

Also, anyone know of a good source for all LED bulbs? That is to say GOOD Led bulbs? I tried a couple different brands in the past for the dash lights, but they were as bad or worse than the stock regular bulbs. But that was about 10 years ago, so I thought surely someone makes some better LEDs by now. Would like to upgrade all bulbs to LED if possible.

Jeepadict

All factory GM bulbs C or K 10/20/30 are interchangeable shy some rare occurrence that I'm not aware of. Headlights is headlights...order them to your heart's content!

I really like Sylvania Zevo LEDs for all exterior applications. For the dash (interior lights) I like to use the search wizzard from superbrightleds.com as you can choose color temp and lumen brightness.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Jeepadict! Thanks for the brands and link. Yeah, I know the lights are pretty much the same across all models. I was just going to look up some other stuff. Some parts are still interchangeable. I just couldn't figure out why they don't have the C30/K30 listed anymore... kind of weird when they have basically all other models listed... even the vans.

Anway, will check into the Sylvania's, I do like that brand. I used to buy their Ultra halogens back some years ago. They were a lot brighter than stock, but they were fairly expensive in comparison and they burned out faster. Of course that was halogens, not leds.

Jeepadict

AFAIR the K30 was the rare-er kid in the game back then...production numbers for the 10/20 were far higher. On the civvy side the difference really only became by GVW or options as equipped.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question If I use LEDs in the dash or headlites do I need resistors of any sort? Thanks
Hey SteelNinja, This is only what I have skimmed from reading threads on here, as I am considering other led lights too... so take this with a grain of salt as I have not done this myself yet.

-->Dash you can't replace the alternator bulbs with led as it causes some issues. You can replace speedo and fuel bulbs which is something i intend to do, as its hard to see my fuel gauge, and I can't just glance to see what speed I'm driving at night... not that I'm likely to go too much over the speed limit anyway being it still has the TH400 trans and original rear end :mrgreen:

--->You can't change turn signal bulbs without adding resistors and etc, otherwise they will not flash. I think this may apply to the side marker lights as well. There may also be issues even with adding resistors because the turn signals and/or side markers lights are on a weird "positive" circuit or something that I don't fully understand.
I've already decided to leave those bulbs stock. If you just want them a bit brighter, you can always buy news lenses, same with tail lights. I did that with my side marker lights shortly after I bought this truck about 10 years ago, and it made a good difference and they still look almost new.

---->Headlights are good to go, shouldn't have any issues or need any special addons unless they are some obscure led or something. I did read the headlight brackets can be a pill to remove and/or adjust due to the screws being stuck and breaking the bracket or something. Some people are putting anti-seize on the screws now, which is probably a good idea and will do so when I change mine.

After reading multiple posts on here, I took the cash swan dive and bought a set of Truck-Lite 27450C LED Headlights off amazon. They are Not cheap by any means... but they are a good set of real led headlights, and they are Actually DOT road legal. I just got them in yesterday, and they look and feel to be very good quality. Looking forward to getting them installed, as the original headlights are nearly worthless in my opinion. But I've also been a stickler about headlights being bright enough most of my life. Especially out here in rural missouri, as we have all curvy hilly roads, and a LOT of deer and other critters. Which the stock headlights are just that much worse in rain, fog, etc. I have avoiding driving the truck at night just because of the headlights. But I think these LED's will be a Huge Improvement.

There are other threads on here of other headlights, but at least in some of them people are using/recommending lights that aren't approved for road use. So you can end up blinding (or at least pissing off) people driving in the opposite direction. Which also could be costly if they are a police officer who decides to turn around and pull you over. So, just something to think about.

Research them on the forums here, but this is the amazon link to the Truck-Lite 27450C if interested:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B1SACFC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info Bro, I have a book Im keeping with all info I can get from this website . I appreciate the info. PS yes I understand hillbilly country back roads Im from the mountains in TN..

vanaisa

I have H4 headlights on both my cucv´s - they are good. Not as bright as LEDs of course but way better than original (sealed?) ones.
They sell those in Amazon, cheap too.

Jeepadict

IIRC the turn signal hyperflash dilemma can be solved by installing a solid state LED compatible flasher, then you should be able to go LED-happy without having to install the load balancer resistor gizmo. Been a while. YMMV

The only body LED contraindication I've ever known was there's a measured resistance of the brake/turn light bulb circuit when adding cruise control with an LS swap. System was designed to deny the cruise function if a brake light was out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks