• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED light conversion

pigpen60

What is involved with changing out the tailight to LED? Will the existing flasher work and do you need a complete assembly or just the lens/lamp/cover?

camoyj7

If you're doing just the rear you shouldn't have to change anything just the cover or the whole assembly your choice. They are the same thing the covers just use your existing tail light buckets.

brianp454

Hey pigpin

I’m not sure what you are asking. Can you clarify? There are complete LED tail light housings out there such as:
https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartDetails/324/FMTV-Rear-LED-Brake-Lights

I’ve heard, but don’t know myself, that the change to LED can render the flasher inoperative. There’s likely a thread here with info on that. This is something I’d like to sort out also because I hate replacing bulbs and hopefully switching to LED will be a one-time replacement event.

I’ve been looking for 24v rated LED’s with 1683 and 1251 bases that can drop into the existing housings. I plan to add an amber turn lamp to my front housings and a red lamp facing outward (to the side) on the tail end of the cargo bed. Folks love to stay in my blind spot on the freeway and I’d like to make it easier for them to see my blinkers. This pic of an A3 has lights the way I plan to do them.M35A3 Rear View.jpg

sandcobra164

As surmised above, it will work fine if you only switch the rears to LED. If you try to switch the rears and fronts to LED, you'll need to wire in resistors from the signal wires to ground in order to make the flasher function. I ran LED tailights for years with no problems.

phxmark

I switched the fronts and rears to LED on mine and have no issues with the stock flasher.

I bought the bases on ebay. Pulled the guts out of the housings and the bases just screwed up to the housings. Had to track down some 12-24 screws though since the screws on the stock covers were too long for the LED bases. If you wish to seal the hole in the housing, I used a rubber cork. I drilled a hole long ways through it for the wires and then split the cork on one side to the drilled hole. Inserted the wires through the base and then inserted the wires into the split in the cork and siliconed it all in to the base.

They are far brighter than the stock bulbs.

https://youtu.be/pxX4Pu7262g

Last edited: