• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Libelula Lives

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After close to 5 months sitting neglected in my back yard...libelula has come back to life.

The problem was first found when we were pulling into Needles about 2:00 AM on our way back from Connetticut (where I bought the truck). We were just driving along when all the electrical power went out! We made it into Needles with Sethzilla driving and me holding a Mag lite out the passenger window. The next morning after sussing our options, we charge up the batterys at the gas station that we slept at...then kept driving...without an alternator! YOU HAVE GOT TO LOVE MECHANICAL DIESELS.

A day and a half later we got home after only one more battery recharging.

Then "in my spare time", I started looking into the repair of the C.E. Niehoff 24/12 volt alternator.

The deeper I dug the suckier the situation got. After countless phone calls, I found that the company that made the voltage regulator had a big falling out with Niehoff so there was no way to get the original unit! I then litterly tore the alternator apart and hand drew an electrical schematic. With the Schamitic and my alternator Guru (Denny Johnson of Johnson Engineering) we guessed that the newer Niehoff regulator would work.

Now here comes the weird part...

I got on the phone to the military Niehoff distributor and got a price and availability of the voltage regulator...

The guy had the regulator in stock for a mear...$575. :freaked:

But hey! Addicts rarely complain about the price of their fix!

I pulled my credit card out of my wallet so I could read him the numbers and he said...

Hold on, I CAN'T SELL YOU THE REGULATOR WITHOUT PERMISSION FROM THE STATE DEPARTMENT!!!

"COME F'EN ON! DO I SOUND LIKE OSAMA BIN SUAVE TO YOU???"

The guy replied that the FBI would be on both he and I if we did the transaction and he just wouldn't do it.

"yo sister! opps, I mean hello Condolizza...Can I please, please, pritty please buy a voltage regulator for my uber-cool truck!"

"F that"! I've had enough dealings with the Army doing development work to know where that would lead me...

So I took maters into my own hands and bought one 12 volt & one 24volt Delco alternators and fitted them to the motor!

I got done on Friday afternoon & the truck fired right up!

Loose Deuce

Good old American Engineering [:)] Looks real neat too. I would probably still be scratching my head if it was my problem. :eyes:

n3uka

Wow, sweet truck and awesome playground.
Can we come over and play.....
Congrats on getting it fixed. It would be a lawn ornament if I had it.

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what I can tell so far...

The 12 volt is for the lights & guages. the truck was built in 1990 and I read somewhere that by going to 12 volt for the lights on the new FMTV's, the DOD was going to save BIG $$$$ by being able to buy off the shelf bulbs.

Sure makes it easier when I mount the sound system.

My first goal was to get the truck back on the road and now that I've done that...I'm going to start modifying the electrical system to be the ultimate system for an expedition vehicle.

at present time I'm running 2 batterys. When the truck is completed I'll have 8. (motor bank: 2 cranking / home bank: 6 deep cycle)

I live less than a mile from the Pismo dunes off-road vehicle park, so I have a GREAT shake down area.

Come one, come all...though it may be a long trip for some of you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks