• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Licensing/Registration Bobbed deuces

asgtoolman

What information should I give my DMV when I register my bobbed deuce in South Carolina; I will be transferring a North Carolina title from the previous owner who bobbed the deuce. The title still carries the original vin # which of course is still the vin # and it is still a 1968 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 but it does not still have 3 axles and it has shed about 3000 pounds.
It appears that all license plates in SC for vehicles over 10000# have to be commercial; I will probably still be about 10300# if all I read about bobbed trucks is true. Of course I will get it weighed, but don't know if that would do any real good if original title says 13400# +or -
Does anyone bring up all these facts or just call a bobbed deuce a deuce and not make waves?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a certified empty weight to show the DMV and they 'should' adjust it on the registration to reflect actual weight. If not, ask to speak to a supervisor. Make sure you get the county veh taxes paid before you go to the DMV.

buck1013

I am in Mississippi, and my friend just applied for an antique tag. A little extra, but never have to buy tags again. Not sure is SC has that sort of tag. The DMV has been another issue. My truck came from NC and my VIN number is not accepted in MS so I have to do a VIN verification. Pain in the rear, but worth it I guess.

Flyingvan911

I want to get an antique tag but Missouri has a bunch of restrictions. I am going for a BL24 tag (24,000 lbs). Then I can use my deuce how I want.

sic0048

Newbee question here. If the truck requires a commercial tag in SC, does that mean you must have a CDL to drive it? Or is there still some exception these trucks have that would allow someone to drive a deuce (bobbed or not) with a regular driver's license?

Thanks,

Brian

jollyroger

Newbee question here. If the truck requires a commercial tag in SC, does that mean you must have a CDL to drive it? Or is there still some exception these trucks have that would allow someone to drive a deuce (bobbed or not) with a regular driver's license?

Thanks,

Brian

No CDL needed for an M-35 nationwide as it has air over hydrailc brakes and a GVW of less than 26,000 lbs. If you haul a trailer with the Deuce the GCVWR, Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating, is supposed to be under 26,000 lbs. or you need a CDL or class A non commercial license. It would be difficult to find a military trailer that the deuce could haul under the GCVWR.

The commercial tag as mentioned for SC is for a vehicle that weighs more than 10,000 lbs. empty. This may vary from state to state but it is how the states collect more road taxes for heavier vehicles. The rationale is that the heavier vehicles cause more road damage and need for maintenance. Therefore the fees are higher.

Seth_O

No CDL needed for an M-35 nationwide as it has air over hydrailc brakes and a GVW of less than 26,000 lbs.
I found out - to my dismay - that CA requires a class B commercial license for any 3 axle vehicle over 6k lbs.

Welcome to the Republik.

Hammer

The deuce has air ASSIST brakes, not air over hydraulic (the trailers use this system.)
Air assist doesn't require the air brake endorsement, but if you pull any of the trailers that have air lines, they ARE air over hydraulic, or full air, and would possibly require the endorsement.

Most places accept the scales' weight for true and will change it.
Simple thing is to say the previous weight was just something from some government paperwork, not an actual weight.
Just don't let them see the data plate in the truck (unless you get the newer one for bobbed trucks.)

jollyroger

So I'm wrong twice in the same thread. Awesome! My fault guys.

Air assist is the correct term to describe the brakeing system. I knew this......I think I must be losing small details somwhere in my mind.

I did the same thing a while back about axles being cast iron and I meant they were cast steel. I knew better on that too but went down the road of cast iron until I looked it up and realized my mistake.

I did not know about the 3 axle rule in CA. I guess it's not nationwide. Strike tow for Johnny. So that's why bobbed trucks are so popular in CA.

Hammer

Not trying to bust your chops on the brakes, just would hate for someone to tell a LEO or dmv person it has air over hydraulics, then get a ticket, or worse.
Of course, knowing that, and how the trailers work, is a needed point when the trailers WOULD require it.

And yeah, CA is the only state I know of that has the 3 axle rule. Only exempt from RV's under 40' in length.
So a M109, if classed as an RV, gets around ALL the rules on that!

Scarecrow1

Not in any way to argue the point because Mike ....AKA SCSGG-G4 should know because he has a Deuce ...But when I was asking my Nationwide agent about antique tags they failed to mention that weight limit to me the main requirement was it to be housed ..or in a covered enclosure and not to exceed 4 thousand miles a year to and from parades ....so I'm lost.... LOL

jollyroger

Not trying to bust your chops on the brakes, just would hate for someone to tell a LEO or dmv person it has air over hydraulics, then get a ticket, or worse.
Of course, knowing that, and how the trailers work, is a needed point when the trailers WOULD require it.

And yeah, CA is the only state I know of that has the 3 axle rule. Only exempt from RV's under 40' in length.
So a M109, if classed as an RV, gets around ALL the rules on that!
No problem Hammer. I did not take offence. You are right. I used the wrong terms to decribe that.

I point things out like that when other guys do it. The frustrating thing is I find myself making those mistakes more often these days. :-x

And I was unaware that CA had the three axle rule. Hope that does not permiate the rest of the nation.

asgtoolman

Thanks,

Brian
A CDL license is not required for a standard or bobbed deuce in SC. The standard class D driver's license is good for non-commercial vehicles up to 26,000 GVW
The commercial license plate is a "weighted" plate and you pay for the GVW of the vehicle rather than the standard fixed fee for vehicles under 8,000#.
No special and vanity plates are available as they all apply to vehicles under 8,000# only.
You can review all this and a lot more @ SCDMV online.
BEWARE all local offices have differing staff ability levels and IT HELPS TO BE PATIENT AND NICE!!!!

Last edited:

Recht71

registration

If you haven't go to your states MV web site read all of the diffrent types of ways to regester your truck .I found in the Indiana MV site Civilian owned resorted military vehicle perment registration . I HAVE NO PLATE MY HOOD #'S ARE MY PLATE #'S. The #' on the back of my deuce right under the tail gate . the same #'s that were on my truck in Vietnam. 24.00 thats it one time. was not easy to get done in fact 3 MO. they didn't know what to do . But i will be doing same on my 151a1 and M-37 .It worth ckecking out

kellereaton

Get a certified empty weight to show the DMV and they 'should' adjust it on the registration to reflect actual weight. If not, ask to speak to a supervisor. Make sure you get the county veh taxes paid before you go to the DMV.
Do you know if an M35 A2 (not bobbed) is street legal in SC? Would it have to be registered as commercial?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you know if an M35 A2 (not bobbed) is street legal in SC? Would it have to be registered as commercial?
If you look at my sig line, you should notice that I have six deuce-and-a-halfs in SC. Yes, they are registered as 'property carrying' (weighted tags), but unless you plan on carrying large loads, so what i did, and register them at a maximum of 18,000 pounds. That would allow a regular deuce to carry almost 5,000 pounds on a tag that costs about $110 a year(+ property taxes). I have never come close to 5,000 pounds in the bed, the most I can recall was about 3,000 when we were hauling scrap off the club compound.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks