• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light guards

ramdough

All,

Does anyone have any experience with light guards? I just got some new heated LED headlights and wanted to protect them. I saw this YouTube video of a German owned truck where he had a polycarbonate lens protector save his headlight. Next post will show some pictures and ideas. I do like the idea of allowing the heated lens to work, so the polycarbonate lense cover may be a no go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you do anything check with your state and local laws. Most states have laws that prohibit any type of lens, cover or anything that interferes with lamps, lights, reflectors or registration plate.
My state I live in, Maryland, prohibits anything that interferes with a lamp, light, reflector or reg. plate with a $70 fine for each lamp, light, reflector or reg. plate interfered with. That also includes any screen, mesh, or bars that blocks their effectiveness.

But with that said, if I were to take a chance and place some type of protective measure over the headlights I wood go with the mesh screen. Plastic or polycarbonate will somewhat distort the light and cloud or yellow over time and bars that you find on bull bars or front grill protectors are worthless.

Just FYI and my 2cents
Tom.😁

Last edited:

Guruman

Not so new member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure what brand of heated LED you have, but it's likely made from polycarbonate. It shouldn't really need any protection. A flying stone might leave a small impact mark, but it's not likely to break the lens. Even the old glass bulbs are really, really tough.

After 30 years and 23 Jeeps, 3 CUCVs, and various old Broncos, Scouts, and Landcruisers, the only headlight I broke was on my LMTV when. I hit a stump HARD. No protection film or guard would have helped it survive.

The modern protection film is interesting to me, but I have no idea how to judge it's effectiveness. I'd have to be breaking headlights all the time to determine if it helped at all, and it will eventually degrade.

The wire and or bar style protectors have an aesthetic appeal, but I do not think they do much to actually protect the bulb.... much if any at all. Unless you can find or make something that actually sits some distance away from the bulb, which could be cool and functional.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Fairly basic to start with, but could be modified.

I'm not sure how necessary light guards are. The face of those LED lights are thick domed polycarbonate, and the rock that broke the DIY guard above probably wouldn't have broken one. I'm more worried about a large blunt impact damaging the whole mount, rather than the light lens.

Third From Texas

As long as you stay off-road, they are legal in Texas.

Just not legal on the pavement.

All motor vehicles in Texas are required to have two working headlights that are white in color. It's also important that your headlights aren't obscured by a cover or grill.
*this is one of those things that isn't covered by reciprocity. Just because it's legal in another state, you can be cited for violation if you come to Texas with your headlights covered (ie: like getting pulled over for too dark of window tint, etc).

Last edited:

ramdough

As long as you stay off-road, they are legal in Texas.

Just not legal on the pavement.

*this is one of those things that isn't covered by reciprocity. Just because it's legal in another state, you can be cited for violation if you come to Texas with your headlights covered (ie: like getting pulled over for too dark of window tint, etc).
Well, looks like I am skipping the guards. If my truck were green, I might risk it with FMV plates, but not otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks