• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light switch differences?

INFChief

My ‘02 MTV M1083A1 has the sexy push button service drive / BO drive light switch.

Question: we’re the fancy light switches part of some field mod / upgrade or simply a Army wide replacement for the older switches?

Just wondering if this newer switch indicates other upgrades / enhancements to the MTV’s.

thanks

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
How does it cause the harness to burn up?

Guyfang

Staff member
Army wide. If you ordered the old type, you got the new one. I hated the darn things. Just for information, if you want to test/trouble shoot a old type, the Gama Goat TM's have a great chapter on how to test the functions.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've always had one of the push button light switches at the back of my mind because they just seemed cool af.... I even had one that I kept meaning to install in my deuce but never got around to it and sold the deuce with it in the map box...

After reading that thread, no matter **how** well grounded, I won't be installing one in my 5 ton... even a **chance** of a fire from it is too great a risk for me. I would have heartburn every time I fired the truck up from the stress of wondering if today was the day....

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It doesn't seem like this is much more than edge-case anecdotal "evidence". These digital keypads are installed on 10,000's to 100,000's of military vehicles? You can find one-off cases of practically any crazy thing happening, but if it was happening with any regular frequency the military would get a different solution. And yet they have instead done away with the mechanical switches and gone to only digital? That should tell you something.

While I think that the likelihood of it burning down your truck is extremely small and can be dismissed, I do question why the military bothered to make a digital version to begin with. It seems like an overly complex solution to a simple problem (or no problem at all?). The digital keypad, while sexy, adds no capabilities or light modes, and it probably significantly more expensive to manufacture than three mechanical switches in a panel, that has 50(?) years of successful history. Were they finding the mechanical switches unreliable? Short lifespans? Easily damaged by exposure to weather / difficult to seal?

Last edited:

coachgeo

It doesn't seem like this is much more than edge-case anecdotal "evidence". '''
read elsewhere that an ex military mechanic told a fellow with an LMTV that switch seemed to cause issues in the FMTV line of trucks.... causing things to burn up in the more electric/computer heavy FMTV's...... then a change of some sort was made. He recommended to throw it out too. Sometimes it is wise to listen to Anecdotal.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It doesn't seem like this is much more than edge-case anecdotal "evidence". These digital keypads are installed on 10,000's to 100,000's of military vehicles? You can find one-off cases of practically any crazy thing happening, but if it was happening with any regular frequency the military would get a different solution. And yet they have instead done away with the mechanical switches and gone to only digital? That should tell you something.

While I think that the likelihood of it burning down your truck is extremely small and can be dismissed, I do question why the military bothered to make a digital version to begin with. It seems like an overly complex solution to a simple problem (or no problem at all?). The digital keypad, while sexy, adds no capabilities or light modes, and it probably significantly more expensive to manufacture than three mechanical switches in a panel, that has 50(?) years of successful history. Were they finding the mechanical switches unreliable? Short lifespans? Easily damaged by exposure to weather / difficult to seal?
Most of our older military trucks are not smooth riding by no means or sealed well So I would chalk up most of the failures to vibration and weather intrusion.

Plenty of people can attest to them shorting out. I would be more worried on a dual voltage truck with both of them going thru the switch. Even new reconditioned trucks still get the manual levers.

Not all military trucks use the 3 lever or pushbutton switch so I wouldn't put the installation number that high.

The m915 1st generation of trucks didn't get the 3 lever style switch and I believe it's due to the dual voltage system and dual voltage trailer output and the switch didn't meet the criteria.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
read elsewhere that an ex military mechanic told a fellow with an LMTV...
That's practically the start of a bad joke. New people come in here asking for help understanding and the immediate response they get is a very closed-minded opinion that they need to throw it out or it's going to burn their truck down. It's reasonable to manage some risk if he wants to get one (e.g. get a newer production model, inspect the connectors for flaws, ground it well, etc.), but the reality is that the chances of it actually burning your truck down are almost immeasurably small.

Representing an opinion as a fact that the keypads are somehow dangerous is either foolish or manipulative, with little evidence. There are many thousands out there functioning quite fine. LMTVs catch fire due to electrical problems on their own, regardless of light switch. You can probably also find a true edge-case story about almost anything else burning down a truck (e.g. dragging brakes, critters eating wires, leaking fuel hoses, etc.).

Guyfang

Staff member
Awesomeness said:
While I think that the likelihood of it burning down your truck is extremely small and can be dismissed, (I have seen it several times, and every TACOM guy I ever worked with complained about problems with the new switch) I do question why the military bothered to make a digital version to begin with. It seems like an overly complex solution to a simple problem (or no problem at all?). (For the same reason we put a computer in Generators. Needed like another hole in the head. This is one of my biggest problems with the switch. The old one was simple, and we all know what KISS means) The digital keypad, while sexy, adds no capabilities or light modes, and it probably significantly more expensive to manufacture than three mechanical switches in a panel, that has 50(?) years of successful history. (So very true) Were they finding the mechanical switches unreliable? Short lifespans? Easily damaged by exposure to weather / difficult to seal? (This is something I might ask a TACOM Wiesel I know who is at least 25 years a tech Rep, and 20 years a truck guy in the Army. Will see if I can awaken the Dragon. For me, trying to use the darn thing at night proved to be mission impossible, with out a flashlight. Any idiot can use a 3 arm switch )

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Awesomeness said:
While I think that the likelihood of it burning down your truck is extremely small and can be dismissed, (I have seen it several times, and every TACOM guy I ever worked with complained about problems with the new switch) I do question why the military bothered to make a digital version to begin with. It seems like an overly complex solution to a simple problem (or no problem at all?). (For the same reason we put a computer in Generators. Needed like another hole in the head. This is one of my biggest problems with the switch. The old one was simple, and we all know what KISS means) The digital keypad, while sexy, adds no capabilities or light modes, and it probably significantly more expensive to manufacture than three mechanical switches in a panel, that has 50(?) years of successful history. (So very true) Were they finding the mechanical switches unreliable? Short lifespans? Easily damaged by exposure to weather / difficult to seal? (This is something I might ask a TACOM Wiesel I know who is at least 25 years a tech Rep, and 20 years a truck guy in the Army. Will see if I can awaken the Dragon. For me, trying to use the darn thing at night proved to be mission impossible, with out a flashlight. Any idiot can use a 3 arm switch )
I would say the likelihood on the older m35s
M809s would be greater since they have zero circuit breakers or fuses for protection and they relied on the breakers in the light switch for protection

Third From Texas

read elsewhere that an ex military mechanic told a fellow with an LMTV that switch seemed to cause issues in the FMTV line of trucks.... causing things to burn up in the more electric/computer heavy FMTV's...... then a change of some sort was made. He recommended to throw it out too. Sometimes it is wise to listen to Anecdotal.

The guy with "Bantha" got a tan A1R version.
*it should be illegal for someone to own TWO M1087s ;p

I noticed in this video he states that his mechanic told him having LEDs on an A1R will cause a fire.

I laughed my ass off.

The LEDs were all that ever came on any LMTV/MTV A1R that I've ever seen. In fact, everything that went back thru BAE for a refresh got LEDs.

I don't know who starts these rumors.

btw, it should be illegal for someone to own two M1087's (in case you missed that).

HUGE fire risk!!!!!

The odds of one bursting into flame DOUBLE.

They should give one to me for the sake of safety....

*see 05:30

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks