• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Linda's New Deuce

Linda

Hi! I just acquired a 1985 M35A2 Deuce from govliqudation. I am ready to pick up my new truck! My husband has gently reminded me I don't even know how to start the beast! Does any one know where I can optain an operators manual? We are really excited about owning this wonderful vehicle and would appreciate any help you can give me.

jwaller

RE: Linda

on the left side of the page are the TM's for your truck. you should download the operator manual and study. also study the pickup guide so you dont ruin anything that might not be wrong with your new truck.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Hi Linda, welcome to the addiction!

Pics are always more than welcome here, if you have any good pics of your truck, we'd love to see it.

As for the operator's manual, there is a .pdf one here on the site under the Technical Manuals section, you can download yourself. Eventually, you will need to buy a real manual, to read and leave on your nightstand, and they can be had at Portrayal Press for about $30 new. I think they are at www.portrayalpress.com.

hippiedude

Wellcome !!!!Check out the resources section on your lower left...... All the TM`S you need to tell you about your truck...

poppop

Welcome aboard Linda!!!!! Do a little reading and you will find out they are really quite simple once you understand the principles. Ask any questions you need to and the fine folks at SS will help you out. I just picked up a Duece a few couple weeks ago and it went great except the first time I went no one was there. 300 mile trip for nothing. Be sure to call ahead to make sure someone is there. GL is downsizing and now one man is covering several bases. I have been calling Fort Benning for two days to arrange a pick-up and no one is ansering the phone or returning my messages.

FreightTrain

Banned

well,I hope you know you are required to have a CDL to drive said truck in your state.No matter if it is personal use only or registered as a Historic/Antique vehicle.No way around it.

Blood_of_Tyrants

These trucks have probably been setting for at least 6 months. There is the possibility of diesel runaway, which is bad. The fuel cutoff lever won't kill the engine because it has started sucking oil past the rings and is burning that. The way to kill the engine is to starve it of air by placing a board over the intake (remove the intake cap and have hubby stand by with a short plank before you try to start it.)

On the dashboard on the left side of the steering wheel, you will see a T-handle that may be pulled out, This is the fuel cutoff handle. Pull it out and leave it out for now.

Near that you will see a strangely shaped lever about two inches long. This is the master power switch. Turn it clockwise. If the battery isn't dead, you should hear an annoying, loud buzzing noise, that is the low pressure alarm.

Now look on the dashboard on the lower right side of the steering wheel and you will see a pushbutton. Make sure the truck is chocked, set the parking brake (that handle on the left side of the driver's seat), put it in neutral and press that button. If the batteries are good, and if none of the cylinders is full of fluid, the engine will turn over. If it turns freely, go to the next step, but most likely the batteries are too dead to turn it over.

Once you have good batteries in and the engine is turning, turn the fuel cutoff T handle vertical and push it in.

Now crank away. Also, the engine won't die on a Deuce if you turn off the master switch. You have to pull the fuel cutoff T handle.

BTW, I found a rodent's nest just inside the air filter inlet. It is always a good idea to check.

poppop

Linda, Blood of tyrants post is good. Pay attention. I hear CA. is a strange state. Don't know, never been there. In Ga. ignorence gets you a long way. If CHP pulls you over, being of the Female pershion, and driving a duece and a half, say, Officer, I did not know I could not drive this truck on this licence. I promise to get it fixed when I get home. :D

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the madness! Once you start using it you will wonder how you ever made it through life with out it. And blood hound is right. I made the mistake of parking my M52 next to my M35. Now a have another CUCV in the yard. These things seem to mutliply on thier own.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Sweet, Another So Cal member! Linda, make sure you or someone else checks the brakes and fluid. Use only BFS...brake fluid, silicone...NOT the stuff you get at Pep-Boys or Wal-Mart. It is NOT the same.

littlebob

When I picked up mine, It was within 10m of home and the first time I tried to get it started it was a last minute trip. I checked all of the fluids and then put the batteries from my boat in it and ran them down. On may way out of the GSA lot, one of the guys asked me if I had tried ether. It was a last minute trip , so it wasn't planned and I didn't have any. The next day, I came prepared with fresh batteries, more brake fluid(dot5) and the ether. It started and I drove it away.
I've heard from other members you may need insurance to drive it off of a base, so ask a lot of questions.

Welcome and good Luck!
littlebob