• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV A/C evaporator unit

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
What is a normal average price that would be paid for the heat and A/C in cab unit? Is there any interest in some good fitting aftermarket copies?
Tom

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I sold my last Gen 2 setups for $600 each. I would look at a larger back wall unit. Would be cheaper IMO and alot of them are higher BTU units for the large cab area.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're not trying to keep it original I'd agree with simp5782. I have one of the factory ones and it'll keep the cab moderately comfortable when it's 98° out but it's definitely not cold or near what a car AC will do.

My truck was bought to stay stock for air shows and MV events so I wanted it to look as original as possible.

Phoenix77

I sold my last Gen 2 setups for $600 each. I would look at a larger back wall unit. Would be cheaper IMO and alot of them are higher BTU units for the large cab area.
Could you make a recommendation (linked, preferably) to a suitable aftermarket unit?

Thanks in advance.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Could you make a recommendation (linked, preferably) to a suitable aftermarket unit?

Thanks in advance.
This unit here is extremely powerful. My m915 cab is a good sized cab. it has a 56 degree inside temp when it is 107 outside. THere is a top unit the same seller has that is a bend 90 degree for more vents. I keep the big open end capped off so i can have overwhelming cool when i want it.
You can see how big the coil is.

Attachments

Phoenix77

This unit here is extremely powerful. My m915 cab is a good sized cab. it has a 56 degree inside temp when it is 107 outside. THere is a top unit the same seller has that is a bend 90 degree for more vents. I keep the big open end capped off so i can have overwhelming cool when i want it.
You can see how big the coil is.
Great; thank you.

Please forgive my ignorance on this, but is this a plug & play unit that I just add power to?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Great; thank you.

Please forgive my ignorance on this, but is this a plug & play unit that I just add power to?
You have to buy a 40amp w
Switch and a switch for the ac compressor. About$30. Then run your wires for direct power and the wire to the compressor

I've got all that done up with the wiring diagram for easier install

coachgeo

Great; thank you.

you have to ad compressor to engine so you need comrpessor, belts and brackets too.

Update:
based on correction found further down this page - you also condenser and fans

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
you have to ad compressor to engine so you need comrpessor, belts and brackets too.
There are hydraulic units available that run off transmission fluid pressure

These can be found at visionaire. They use transmission fluid to run the compressor

Phoenix77

I have purchased the OEM M1078 cab heater/AC unit to swap out with the heater only unit.

In theory, should any suitably rated condenser hook up to the unit with the correct hoses / wiring?

I have seen Red Dot units with sufficient BTU output that I could mount on the rear exterior of the cab to avoid the whole fording / submerged parts issue. Are these a feasible alternative (provided all the CAT 3316-specific components are attached to power the unit)?

Ronmar

I have purchased the OEM M1078 cab heater/AC unit to swap out with the heater only unit.

In theory, should any suitably rated condenser hook up to the unit with the correct hoses / wiring?

I have seen Red Dot units with sufficient BTU output that I could mount on the rear exterior of the cab to avoid the whole fording / submerged parts issue. Are these a feasible alternative (provided all the CAT 3316-specific components are attached to power the unit)?
Yes. The evaporator and condenser need to match the compressor and environment. You can mount the condenser on the back or top of the cab, but because the cab needs to tilt that adds a lot of line, volume and complexity to the system. Down in front of the radiator is the simplest install.

You will need to also work out the control circuitry which is usually pretty simple with main switch thru a hi/lo pressure switch controlling the compressor clutch relay.

Third From Texas

What is a normal average price that would be paid for the heat and A/C in cab unit? Is there any interest in some good fitting aftermarket copies?
Tom
To answer your question, I would think so. I have all the dimensions and measurements. I was going to just build a "copy" and stuff it with a Coldmaster unit off eBay (you can find 34K BTU heat/AC units that would fit nicely in a "replica Red Dot" Gen 2). But my access to the sheet metal machinery to make it are in Louisiana and I haven't made it back there since this COVID crap hit.

The Gen 2 evaps that are out there are just ridiculously expensive. You could make a case and build it out with more cooling for less than half of the going rate.

I'd be interested to know what your price point would be. But I'm leaning more along the lines of just the case, broken down flat for shipping. I'd add all the guts, switches, and vents. But at that point, there is a LOT of room for an improved design...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks