• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV bed trailer project

tobyS

The bed has a CG not too far off of the piece that slides out, but the typical wheel well on the truck is further back. I'll have more tongue weight if my axle is that far back, but behind the deuce, it could handle it. Empty, I want to move it with the pickup

I like that the sides and back panels can stow in the compartments. I stand a chance of keeping them with it.

The width is 96" and I'll make the outside of the wheel track at 8', so there will be a lengthening of the axle about 7". I guess stick with conventional springs and shocks.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely quite a project.
Not sure I would use the word “fun”!

Cool.....yes
Fun......no

tobyS

I'll use the word "fun"(...but my back is complaining about it). I like building things, solving problems, as much as putting them to work (or for sale). Doing it to trucks has gotten harder since the sales are both farther away and have far less running stock...plus that they get retail price so it's hard to make any $ from taking significant risk.

I went to the FFA auction on saturday and they sold a loader that has 14.00x20 with really bad tires. I was looking for a low speed or off road use for the GY AT-2 (off my 929) and the buyer is coming to look at them. They have near full tread but were somewhat egg shaped. Selling them for $100/ea would get me over the hump on some new XZL 395's for the A3. I'm off to the tire shop for mounting the bolster trailer tires above....having fun again.

tobyS

Now comes the center of axle decision in relation to the center of gravity...and would it be worth it to build wheel wells to keep it lower? Probably not, as the removable sides would not fit without a lot of modification. So top should end up about where the M1061 sits.

To keep the tongue weight within reason for a PU, my wheel will be at about where the sliding tube can be extended out, giving a 60/40 weight distribution. The tube within a tube will be removed and the outer part be cut way back for making a wheel well under the floor. I can't think of any practical use for the sliding square tube anyway. I think they were for airlifting the LMTV trucks.

Sold 4 tires from the dump truck....yipee.

Last edited:

tobyS

That is the debate I'm having in my planning (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde)(more like Laurel and Hardy).

Really...can't decide to have a lot of tongue weight and the axle toward the rear or closer to the CG and less tongue weight. Frame under this will be different to keep it low, not simply make a frame and set it on it.

My 1/2 ton will only be able to handle it unloaded or a very small load....or not at all if the axle is really far back....but a 3/4 or 1 ton would. I have to make it so I can sell it when I need money, so it has to be rather "universal".

What to use for the tongue? The front of a M105 made a rather nice one for the trailer frame that gets the M35A3 bed. It tows behind the M35A3 or the M929A2, but would be heavy for a 1/2 ton. I'm looking for a couple of really clean donor 105A2's. I've located one.

tobyS

The axles are far enough to the rear on this trailer that it may have to handle several tons. Bed from the A3 @ 12' could push 2-3 tons on the pintle. My small loader handles it with ease right now without the bed installed, so empty is probably 400#, with the bed maybe 600#. The one above is a deuce (4x4) or 5 ton (929) trailer... other than moving empty, not for PU.

I don't want that heavy of a tongue on the LMTV trailer. I want it more suited to a hummer or heavy PU. Empty probably 250# -350# tongue weight.

tobyS

I'm still concerned about the on-off road thing of the HMMWV. Not so the 5 tons and deuce but then I live in country and have 43 acres. I started when hummers and FMTV's were not available, so never developed the attachment. LOTS of people have however.

5 tons had prices that, if desperate, the truck could be turned in for scrap and get most of the investment back. One can't do that any more.

drivebymashing

I am too I dont have much property id hate to buy something that couldnt be street legal. Im interested in the hummer becuase its smaller. I had a deuce for about 2 years. Something a little smaller would be easier to maneuver. I dont like the cucv blazer things...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks