• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV CAT 3116 Which Antifreeze for a drain and fill?

Overdrive

I have a new block heater on the way and plan to go ahead and do a full drain and fill on the coolant. TM says ethyl glycol antifreeze but wondering if anyone has used a specific brand or type (long life, etc.) or will wally-world brand do just fine for the CAT 3116?

Thanks for any assistance,
OD

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any good anti freeze designed for diesel engines will suffice. Look for a brand that contains SCA, or purchase a bottle of SCA and add to the mix. Tractor Supply has a decent coolant for diesels.

EO2NMCB

My self I would use the cat long life antifreeze, I think the last time I got some from Freightliner was 13.50a gal. If you do switch over, flush, flush and flush as the two are not compatible.

Overdrive

Hmmm. OK. I didn't realize there is "special" antifreeze for diesel engines. Some of the generic long life stuff says it is compatible with the standard coolant. Sounds like regardless I should to a drain and flush. Will investigate further.

Overdrive

OK, quick search gave me some info on diesel vs conventional antifreeze and why...

http://www.motorhome.com/rv-how-to/...to-know-about-diesel-antifreeze-and-coolants/

Although, based on this article, the CAT 3116 isn't the type of diesel engine that "requires" special antifreeze. Reguardless of if it is needed I will steer towards the "for diesel engines" coolant in my search.

I found ROTELLA ULTRA ELC 50/50... It looks like this may be a good one to use?

http://rotella.shell.com/products/anti-freeze.html

I am just reading stuff here but it looks like the SCA additive is just for the bigger types of diesels with the wet wall thing, coolant in contact with the outside cylinder wall which it would appear the 3116 does not have. The Shell ROTELLA Ultra ELC has this stuff in there and it looks like this is touted as a never have to replace antifreeze. Think that is what I will be using.

OD

Last edited:

dependable

Sorry if a little of subject but I saw this and reminded me of something. What happens if the regular green type is mixed with the red diesel type?.

What happens and how quickly?

The reason I ask is I had to add some antifreeze to my wife's car due to leak, and all I had was the red HD diesel type. I have to flush and probably replace the radiator on that car eventually. Figure I would wait for warmer weather if I can.

Overdrive

Thought I would rap up this thread on coolant...

I switched to CAT ELC coolant (the strawberry color). Runs great but had to do 4 flush and fills with water to make sure I got all the yellow stuff out first. Strangely, the CAT coolant was cheaper than aftermarket from my local CAT dealer.

Traditional green and the long life stuff are not compatible.

Rene M

In the CAT service guide if the coolant has been contaminated in any way it is recommended to pull the thermostats out run a mixture of water and Cascade dishwasher powder. one cup full per 10 gals of coolant.
let it get good and drain , fill with water run,drain then fill with CAT antifreeze.

Do not let CAT antifreeze get on your skin and you will notice it feels hot at room temp.. you get a good chem burn.

Cat antifreeze is special as we have removed all the cooling system conditioners so the antifreeze is a mean mix.

MIKEMEEKS

Can you use the prestone dexcool etc coolant in a 3116 cat on a m1078--it has the green in it now---I have the pristine flush kit but wanted to know if anyone knows if it is ok

MIKEMEEKS

Thanks, I was looking up the green as it applies to the copper pressed in insert where the fuel injector is and it has an A rating for copper/ cast iron/ It has a B rating for stainless which is the cooler for the Allison transmission--the comment was the stainless will discolor--which means to me it might be a problem spot later on which if it gets in the transmission---kills it
I also wanted to change it from green because I am using highway diesel which is green and my water separator--I won't be able to tell---I'm afraid of the off hi way diesel as I have experienced terrible problems with it.
but thanks again---I may trade it in and buy the cat red antifreeze---buy the way the only interface between the coolant and the fuel is the copper insert at the injector on a 3116

MIKEMEEKS

chemical compatibility chart

ISM chemical compatibility chart--I tied to copy it but it did not work--you can google Chemical compatibility chart--there are several to choose from--used them all the time when I worked

Strong50

Hey everyone. Sorry, but my ignorance when it comes to everything mechanical shows in my questions.

I've experienced some cold starting problems in Missouri recently and need to address the issue. I ordered a block heater and plan to do an antifreeze flush. I've searched the site and figured I piggyback this thread. We have some 55 gallon drums of "Peak Final Charge Global 50/50 and was wondering if anyone had used that in their 3116?

MIKEMEEKS

Red antifreeze will work fine. It was developed by catexaco for texcat to eliminate the inherant problems with cylinder sleeves pitting out on diesel engines. It not only stopped the pitting but also greatly improved water pump seal life. A #3116 engine is not made like that which the cylinder sleeves are not exposed. The spec for this engine is green but red is fine or the orange extended life coolant is fine. If you have a lot of the red and don't want to buy something else it's gonna be fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks