• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Crew Cab?

DJTC

Hi,

I just joined the forum - have been here a number of times before - love the site. I'm a regular over on ExpeditionPortal.com, and have been working on my plans for an overland camper. Nothing out there that is commercially available really fits our needs - I want 4x4 so I can get to some interesting places, I want it to be big enough that we can sleep and cook (and go to the bathroom) in the camper, and I've got two reasonably-sized kids (10 and 12). I've decided the only way to go is to build my own camper (just bought this awesome book https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1785210769/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1). For the truck itself, I could use an International (https://www.internationaltrucks.com/configurator/durastar#my DuraStar), but I really like the cab-over option of the LMTV M1078 - not to mention the incredible offroad-worthiness.

Here's the $64k question - is there any way to modify an M1078 into a crew cab? I haven't spent a ton of time with them in person, but it looks like there's a lot of critical mechanical stuff going on right behind the cab. Exhaust stack, at the very least - but that should be able to be re-routed, maybe? (although it looks pretty robust) Spare tire could be relocated. Anything else that couldn't be relocated?

Has anyone else done this (or tried to do it)?

Thanks!

Jason

scottmandu

Also you would need alot more room behind the cab and a ladder or some sort of way to climb 6 feet down to the ground for the rear doors.

coachgeo

why a crew cab??? IMHO I think people look at it way wrong. If you have a family.. why must they sit in "the cab"? I was raised camping in a motorhome with my family. While I liked sitting up front looking out windshield.....I was the odd one out. 99% of the time my sisters etc. sat most anywhere BUT the cab.

IMHO build/buy a super strong camper box with proper automotive seats and seat belts. Have them sit back there with older family or Mom. One kid in cab? Best kid for the week gets to sit in the cab lol. That is EXACTLY why I am using a box off of an ambulance to make my camper out of. They are made for transporting people and are wayyyyyy stronger than most cabs especially Cab Forward types. Will be ton safer in that kind of camper box than cab.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks