• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Def tank?

Aernan

Looking at photos of newer LMTV I see on the driver's side a tank just in front of the battery box. It looks like a Def tank for modern diesels.

Is that what it is?

I'm looking into methanol/water injection. I think that might make a great tank for that. Can anyone help me find one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

buffalorunner

I believe you are seeing the hydraulic tank for trucks equipped with a winch (I think this is the location for the hydraulic tank for dump bed trucks as well). I'm sure it would make a worthy tank for water/methanol, but because of the rarity of the winch equipped trucks, you may find that the tanks are $$$ (hoping someone who is selling one or who has bought one can chime in). Would their be any reason to not use a modern "plastic" tank if it truly is just holding water? No rust to ever worry about...

Aernan

I think that might be a safe bet. Truck I bought has the optional winch and I see the tank in the photos. (I haven't gotten my truck yet) :)

As far as using a modern DEF tank. I think that's a great idea. The idea of using the factory tank is that it already has mounting hardware and who knows maybe surplus it might be cheap.

Aernan

Looking at auction sites I see tanks in the $300-$500 range. I'm assuming there is a pump and other equipment in the tank because I see multi pin connectors in them. Not entirely sure if I need/want all that stuff. I'll do more digging. It does look like a conventional tank is most likely a very good option.

The other thing to consider is I would like the tank to be protected with metal so it's more abuse resistant off road.

buffalorunner

If you do have a truck with a winch (which are few), I think you have something that is worth retaining (winching function). There is a lot of usable space beside the fuel tank to mount a bracket and water cell, and there is a lot of potential space behind the cab over the air to hydraulic lift pump for a water/meth tank. I know you mentioned that you were doing the injection because you are at altitude and want to reduce EGT's on long climbs, will it be necessary to have a heater/warmer in the water/meth tank to prevent freezing or gelling?

And the tank in the model is depicted as a winch truck, with hydraulic fluid reservoir for the winch. Really cool model, I would proudly display that at my desk :)

On a side note, the 1/35 models of these trucks that have working joints (aka cab tilt, spring flex, etc) are great tools if you plan to modify your truck (exterior). You can quickly build or print a scale part that you wish to add to the truck and see how it would look with little to no cost or time added. It has been helpful to me as I work towards a final design for an expo box on the back and generator mounts.

Aernan

If you do have a truck with a winch (which are few), I think you have something that is worth retaining (winching function). There is a lot of usable space beside the fuel tank to mount a bracket and water cell, and there is a lot of potential space behind the cab over the air to hydraulic lift pump for a water/meth tank. I know you mentioned that you were doing the injection because you are at altitude and want to reduce EGT's on long climbs, will it be necessary to have a heater/warmer in the water/meth tank to prevent freezing or gelling?

And the tank in the model is depicted as a winch truck, with hydraulic fluid reservoir for the winch. Really cool model, I would proudly display that at my desk :)

On a side note, the 1/35 models of these trucks that have working joints (aka cab tilt, spring flex, etc) are great tools if you plan to modify your truck (exterior). You can quickly build or print a scale part that you wish to add to the truck and see how it would look with little to no cost or time added. It has been helpful to me as I work towards a final design for an expo box on the back and generator mounts.
I do plan on retaining the winch functionality. From my Internet reading it looks like you can deploy it front or rear which is very unique and desirable feature. It's also PTO powered not electrical which makes long winching safe (no melting your synthetic rope).

The methanol system can use 100 water, 70/30, 50/50. In any of the mixes with methanol or ethanol in the mix it won't freeze. It's actually common for folks to buy extreme temperature window washing fluid and use that or spike it with HEAT (pure methanol) to get it up to 50/50. The extreme temp washer fluid is 30-40% methanol. (from what I am reading on the Internet). So freezing that tank is not an issue as long as methanol is present.

As far as the model. I want one. I tried to buy one but ended up with accessories for another model. Can you tell me who makes your model? I would like one for the exactly the same use (desk and modeling). My first thing to test is checking out paint colors.

coachgeo

I do plan on retaining the winch functionality. From my Internet reading it looks like you can deploy it front or rear which is very unique and desirable feature. It's also PTO powered not electrical which makes long winching safe (no melting your synthetic rope). ....
Good reasons to go with a PTO winch........ but then again in the case of the FMTV line... there is a non typical disadvantage.... you can't use winch to assist your own wheels during a self extraction ... AKA winch will ONLY work with transmission in Neutral.

coachgeo

Wait what? Can I modify that?
NO clue... no one has done it that I know of. Others know shiat load more than me in here will hopefully add their .02 on this. You might consider finding someone real familiar with PTO use in the line of Allison 3000 transmissions and they might can answer that. The FMTV tranny is based on the 3000 line of commercial Allison Trannys.

coachgeo

I have no idea why after reading through the pool I totally missed noticing it. I honestly wish I had paper copies. :) It's totally my bad.
Bad may be wrong word. To Er is human.... to skim thru top of pages is too lol. Guess this is the lessons of the saying..... "be aware of your surroundings" counts for the internet too.:wink:

Paper coppies....... that would kill a whole Sequoia tree.

Last edited:

Jericho

Hydraulic/ electric, Pto driven winches are all options, Huck a 18000 lb electric winch on it, prices are decent, performance is good , plenty of rugged frame to build off!

Aernan

Actually I have a nice 2 speed mile marker hydraulic winch sitting in my garage that I have for another project. If I can get the factory winch to work well enough I won't dig any deeper. I'm not intending on doing a lot of winching. I anticipate pulling other people out a bunch and probably hauling some fallen trees off the road. If I do get stuck I anticipate it being deep sticky mud.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks