• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV/FMTV Dump trucks - worth it?

donbecker

New to dump trucks and with some future homesteading on raw land in my future, wondering if getting an M1090 or converting a standard bed LMTV to a dump truck might result in me having a good 4x4 truck/material hauler and dump truck in one.

For those having experience with both normal dump trucks and M1090, would you share some advice?

Is it a good idea to get dual use out of it, or are there shortcomings using an LMTV as a dump truck?

Pictures of the M1090 show additional side panels on the bed, I'm assuming that is to raise capacity?

If I had to guess, without those panels the dump truck conversions max capacity is likely around half of an M1090 so 2.5 cubic yards?

All use is non-commercial, needing to haul fill dirt, top soil as well as gravel, sand and portland cement for onsite concrete work.

Thinking that using the LMTV to haul other materials/general truck use would be better than trying to use a dump truck for that purpose (or needing another truck).

Last edited:

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New to dump trucks and with some future homesteading on raw land in my future, wondering if getting an M1090 or converting a standard bed LMTV to a dump truck might result in me having a good 4x4 truck/material hauler and dump truck in one.
I guess it depends on who you ask, what condition the truck is in, and most of all how handy, mechanically inclined, and willing you are to work on a truck that size.

In my opinion, as a reasonably newbie, a dump truck would be good. Converting a cargo truck to a dump truck, now that's some work there.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wasn't there some design flaw with the LMTV dump truck?

I distinctly recall something about extreme limitations on something like load and dump angle.
I am not certain about a design flaw - but I sure haven't seen many out for public consumption. Might be worth a look for the civilian version and see if there are any out there...

Third From Texas

I am not certain about a design flaw - but I sure haven't seen many out for public consumption. Might be worth a look for the civilian version and see if there are any out there...
Seems like it was a operator warning to "never fill the bed more that 50% of capacity" or "never raise the bed more than 50% of potential" (something like that) due to a design flaw. I honestly don't recall but I remember thinking to myself that if I ever needed a dump truck to sure as hell not get the M1090.

/shrug

coachgeo

there is also the issue of finding one......... they are pretty rare to find for sell at auction or civilian hands. Due to that rarity you pay an extra premium that you might not make it worth it as an actual work truck.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Likely it's same situation as it has been for all models of dump trucks, dozers, graders, tanker trucks, etc.., going back well into the 1980's, if not before ... They get snatched up by the US Forest Service, as well as state OGS's for redistribution to highway depts and state forest service.. Post-911, the fire and police depts (deemed "federal emergency recipients" since) grab up the stuff through this loophole for their own highway depts to use.. Not saying it's right or wrong but it is unfair and underhanded to the highway depts that have no choice except to do it the normal way, those that don't have a police or fire dept. The "Federal" agencies get first dibs on stuff and it goes downhill from there. Very few decent dump trucks ever made it to public auction, which is the last stop of the Reutilization process .. There was a purge of M817's in Virginia around 2012, many had damage and most did not run. Have not seen that many up for public auction at the same time, before or since. A few years ago we were extremely lucky to obtain a very nice M817 direct from GSA.com that had been left unclaimed by the town hwy dept it was to go to .. GSA is also where to go for dumps and other trucks/equipment turned in by the Forest Services .. Those looking for military dumps (and beds) should also try Municibid and also Auctions International , both sites are heavy with highway maintenance / roadbuilding equip. Military stuff pops up several times a year , perhaps more depending on your location. Unfortunately, most highway departments don't wash or take care of their stuff, especially the "free" stuff .. But you will find enough exceptions out there to make it worth looking

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks