• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV FMTV front axle outer seal replacement

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After replacing all the hub and CTIS seals last winter I have developed a leak in the front axle outer seal. Oil is dripping at the bottom of the passenger side king pin area. IMG_3339.png
Looks like #59 seal. Mid west says there are requires 2 at each end but I only see 1. IMG_3340.png
What’s the best way to replace the seal or seals? Anyone know of a video showing it?

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After replacing all the hub and CTIS seals last winter I have developed a leak in the front axle outer seal. Oil is dripping at the bottom of the passenger side king pin area. View attachment 926721
Looks like #59 seal. Mid west says there are requires 2 at each end but I only see 1. View attachment 926722
What’s the best way to replace the seal or seals? Anyone know of a video showing it?
The 24P parts TM only shows quantity 1. I have to do this same job...
DEB5517C-67A1-4C82-A1CB-340733234742.jpeg1468EB4B-7D06-4CD7-B332-6244780AE7E8.jpeg

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good point. Also most likely replacing #61 sleeve bushing. He insisted 2 on each side and sold me 4. I was there in person and he saw the problem and truck. Going to call and have him point it out to me on the drawing.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sleeve looks like it's a discardable sealing surface sleeve. Guessing it's pressed or shrunk on probably with 609 Loctite so it doesn't move or spin. That will be entertaining. If it's on there with green sleeve retaining compound (609) you will have to heat it to get it off and usually an induction heater and a dead blow with a driver made from some pipe, etc will be required for installation. Did a lot of that working on industrial pumps and compressors.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know exactly what you’re talking about. I’ve even had to cut them with a reciprocating saw and chisel them out. That doesn’t sound fun. Maybe have new ones on hand check tolerances and if needed then replace.
Any idea if the u joint is a common Dana / spicer part number?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know exactly what you’re talking about. I’ve even had to cut them with a reciprocating saw and chisel them out. That doesn’t sound fun. Maybe have new ones on hand check tolerances and if needed then replace.
Any idea if the u joint is a common Dana / spicer part number?
The u-joint is a Rockwell/Meritor/Axle Tech CP750N1

Front Axle U-Joint.jpg

Do see some for sale..... https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ROCKWE...NT-P-N-CP750N1-M35-FREIGHTLINER-/143378560714

Probably can cross to something cheaper but with how much work that is to get to.... I've greased mine and the seals don't look great but I'll wait till I have to do those inner hub seals.

For the sleeves - we would hold the shaft (by an assistant's hand for small ones and by overhead crane for big stuff) upside down on a pointed rod welded to a piece of plate and heat the sleeve with a rosebud (or several for really big ones) till red hot and they will just fall off onto the pointed rod (this way they are contained and don't roll off the table into the nearby bucket of greasy rags o_O ). Welding bench under all of it of course so nothing is flammable.

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 4 total on a truck, 2 per side. They are on both sides of the U-Joint. One is the innermost item on the hub and the other is outermost on the axle tube. It is not shown in the TM on the page above, but is shown on the page with the axle tube.

There is an older 2 piece and a newer 1 piece seal. If you have the two piece, sometimes one part gets stuck on the axle shaft.

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 4 total on a truck, 2 per side. They are on both sides of the U-Joint. One is the innermost item on the hub and the other is outermost on the axle tube. It is not shown in the TM on the page above, but is shown on the page with the axle tube.

There is an older 2 piece and a newer 1 piece seal. If you have the two piece, sometimes one part gets stuck on the axle shaft.
Looks like 9 and 59 are the same part number..
33979541-6CB2-472C-9CB9-94A19DD4D9AA.jpeg7B8D0703-86E3-422E-B251-BF618F13FE61.jpeg

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m so confused the seal, washer and sleeve bearing are shown that go in the axle housing. Where is the other seal go.
They don't go in the axle housing, they go on the end of the spindle - The ones that go in the axle tube are shown in the post above this one.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look closely that’s the same drawing just with the axle shaft. 59,60,61 are identical to 8,10,11 and identical part numbers. They are in the exact same order. So only 1 seal one thrust washer and one bushing sleeve. Per side not 2 on of each side.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No there is two per side. One on either side of the u-joint. Two shafts - one into the axle tube, and one into the hub. Same seal on either side. So one per side, AND one per drawing. Total of four.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those drawings don’t show that. The seal, thrust washer and sleeve are in the same order in both drawings. Indicating they go into the axle housing. If they went into the hub they would be in reverse direction.

Ronmar

So that would mean I need 4 of the sleeve bushings as well.
Yep, seal washer and bushing on either side of the ujoint(outer end of axle housing/inner end of spindle tube)

IMO if you are going to pull the hub down to the point where you can access that inner spindle bushing and seal, you can pull the axle shaft, overhaul the ujoint and do at a minimum the inner seal on the end of the axle housing… all the hard work is getting to the point where you can pull the axle anyway, might as well while you are in that deep…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks