• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV - Let's add Lights and Power to The Troop Driver's Warning Switch

Overdrive

I am working on 5 things at once as usual but this little mod has been rattling around in my head for a few months now. I have a lot more important stuff I should be working on the LMTV but I thought I would take a brief pause and make this little thing...

Troop_driver_alert1.jpg Troop_driver_alert2.jpg LMTV_bed_light1.jpg

I removed the original switch and connector from the troop buzzer switch (the thingy that sits on the end of the bed that warns the driver when there is an issue in the back troop area), cut/ground it smooth, then mounted an aluminum project box. I added 12v power with two outlets, an RV light, and the original buzzer switch with longer wires.

I added a simple 12V tap off of one of the batteries using a Battery Tender connector with a weatherproof 2 prong plug and fuse, then made a cord that connects from that to the side of the new troop box. Its long enough to position the box anywhere along the front of the bed.

Now I have light in the bed and a 12v power source and I don't have to keep staring at the original switch wondering if I could make something useful out of it :)

Hope someone finds this useful.

OD

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Looks cool. I used the factory warning light wiring and made a bed light that plugs in at the back of the cab. Turns on with the dash warning light switch. Headlights have to be on for it to work though.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am missing the troop alarm. I like this idea though. When I was at the NC Denton rally the last two years I camped in the back of the truck and having that 12v outlet would have been nice.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There is a thread somewhere with the part number. I can look at mine if you cant find the thread. I got my connector off an original mag mount amber rotating beacon. The amber het beacons use a different connector though.

Lmtv772

Banned
I think wehring posted that but without part #. Haven't heard from him in a while

Last edited:

PowerstrokeNC

There is a thread somewhere with the part number. I can look at mine if you cant find the thread. I got my connector off an original mag mount amber rotating beacon. The amber het beacons use a different connector though.
I just figured out its a cannon plug, not sure of part #. Found one on fleabay that "looks" right will see if it fits.
I will post results when I find out.

Overdrive

Now hang on here folks... ;)

If you wanted to actually power the box from the cab connector you don't need to do that. You can provide power with what comes with your truck stock and just tap the power wire going to the alert switch. its already 24v and if you do what I did and reuse the connector from the alert switch there is the mount end for your barrel plug so you already have all this there without buying anything else... I was asking about the cab connector strictly to add a different kind of light/power setup dealing with the cab having nothing to do with this mod.

If you tried to power it from the cab connector that seems weird since you would have issues raising and lowering the cab. So you would either have a REALLY long dangling harness to allow for the cab tilt, which seems silly, or you would have to keep disconnecting it when you moved the cab.

troop_alert_3.jpg

I tapped the batteries because I wanted 12v outlets.. its REALLY easy to just add a pigtail to one of the batteries + and - to get 12v power.

I will take a couple of pics of the connections when I get home to show you.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now hang on here folks... ;)

If you wanted to actually power the box from the cab connector you don't need to do that. You can provide power with what comes with your truck stock and just tap the power wire going to the alert switch. its already 24v and if you do what I did and reuse the connector from the alert switch there is the mount end for your barrel plug so you already have all this there without buying anything else... I was asking about the cab connector strictly to add a different kind of light/power setup dealing with the cab having nothing to do with this mod.
View attachment 627115

I tapped the batteries because I wanted 12v outlets.. its REALLY easy to just add a pigtail to one of the batteries + and - to get 12v power.

I will take a couple of pics of the connections when I get home to show you.
Here we are trying to set you up with a home business to bring you fame and fortune and you want us to do it ourselves.