• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loading operations,Pre GA trip test for the M211

AMGeneral

Howdy folks,

I just had to try out the M172A1,so what better test other than to load the M211( my trail truck for the GA rally)and see how much room i'll have left for parts I have to haul down.

BTW,by the time I load tools,air compressor,sandcobra's cover and PB's engine,it'll be full.

Oh,In case you were wondering how I placed the ramps,notice the tractor beside the trailer in pic 1 and 3 ? 400 lbs of ramps is a bit more than I can move by myself

Enjoy

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's awesome! :)

So how much weight are those ramps good for? They look small for a trailer as big as yours.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will be real interesting to compare the 211 to the M35 on the trail. I know that as far as drawbar pull, the 211 eats the M35. Are you putting 900 or 1100 tires on it?

Oh Brandon, if you still have it, can you bring that steel plate for the back of the motor from that can I got from you?

AMGeneral

It will be real interesting to compare the 211 to the M35 on the trail. I know that as far as drawbar pull, the 211 eats the M35. Are you putting 900 or 1100 tires on it?

Oh Brandon, if you still have it, can you bring that steel plate for the back of the motor from that can I got from you?

You are correct about the drawbar pull Kenny,the 211 with bald tires will pull my M35A2C w/w backwards reguardless of who is driving what truck, it'll have 900 X 20s on it.

I already have it set aside with my TBD stuff for GA

Clint,
They are supposed to be good for 60,000 lbs I guess( max hauling capacity for the trailer) they didn't deflect any while loading the 211,neither did the suspention on the 915!!

The ramps are made out of 6" channel steel with reinforcment plates welded on the outside,they also have cross channels every 12" between the side channels for the wood floor.

It did dawn on me that given the great weight of the ramps,i needed to come up with a "single person" way to load these,so I devised a winch method (using a 1 ton come a long) to winch them up on the trailer bed(just in case no wrecker was avialiable).

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not a big advocate of super mods of mil equipment past what would have been done in the field but a hydraulic system for those nut busting ramps might be a worthy mod.

Thanks on the steel plate!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Brandon,

I pulled those trailers with a M916 when I was at Benning.....we cussed those ramps everytime we had to use them....def a two man job.

There was an authorized field modification that allowed units to make them hydrolically operated (the Eng unit down the road from us had a lowboy that had been modded).

We regularly loaded D7 dozers and 10K forklifts with those ramps and never bent one.

I have some brand new exhaust pipes for that deuce if you need one.

Gunfreak25

AMGeneral, there's a serious lack of good footage of the M135/M211 series on youtube. Will you guys be getting some video of the M211 at the GA rally?

AMGeneral

AMGeneral, there's a serious lack of good footage of the M135/M211 series on youtube. Will you guys be getting some video of the M211 at the GA rally?

I certainly hope so,I have 4 of these trucks,this one is by far the most roadworthy and nicest,so great care will be taken on the trails( I won't let Gimpy drive,I promise) it won't get any more damage than Oddbal did last year.

WM,do tell about these exhaust pipes,pics would be nice!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The exhaust pipes WM has were part of a mil shower trailer that he scrapped years ago. The neighbor used them for fence posts when they were 8' long but returned them after they shrunk to 5'. A fresh coat of Krylon and they are new M211 pipes. I'd bet he would trade you an exhaust pipe even up for 2 NOS deuce fording kits.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
AMG...you know how I am with Army stuff....I don't NEED that 6602 gasser....I just want it. If it comes to push or shove and you need to haul sumpin else for someone...then do that...I can get the engine anytime later.:grin:

butch atkins

hey Brandon,Butch here,word of caution,make sure you have ALL of the tranny,trans case,forward/reverse ,throttle,tranny control tower linkages adjusted by the TM ,that means in the neutral positions youcan slide the clevis pins without binding,when you flex the frame of the truck,and you willat the trailride ,the linkages will bind up,no fun if you cant get forward or reverse when you need it,voice of experience speaking,alittle stupidity will go along way,cost me 600.00 for a wrecker to pull me 10ft backwards to unflex the frame enough to be able to get reverse,simple fix! adjust linkages before next trail ride

armytruck63

Now there's the voice of experience talking. Thanks for the great advice. This is why Willys abandoned the column shift used on some CJ-2's. During frame flex, the transmission couldn't be shifted.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have never sold that m211!

It's in better hands now anyway.

I was going to mount a hydraulic/air system for my ramps. I need to build some.