• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

locked steering gear

XM 2742

went to move my XM211 today. Aired up tires, hooked up chain.....and it rolled fine.......................IN A STRAIGHT LINE.

The steering gear box is locked up. Removed the plug and squirted in half a can of PD then filled it with some atf fluid just because that was all I had.

I plan to let it sit a few days and try again. Anyone have any suggestions on how to free the thing up? I am sure the gears are rusted as the gear box was dry but will a good soaking do any good? I have another gear box but want to get it home beforte I swap the thing. I only have to go a few miles on gravel country road. Would appreciate some advice.....thanks.

nattieleather

Are you sure the steering is locked up and not something else like the knuckles? Can you disconnect the steering from the rest of the system and see if it turns then?

XM 2742

I GOT IT FREE. I left the gear bod filled with oil and PB overnight and removed the plate in the morning. IT WAS FILLED WITH ICE!!!!!!!!!

Heated the box up with a propane torch and bingo...........got the deuce home. Ice was the last thing I considerad as TX isn't cold but I guess the 9 degrees kinda sealed the fate of the water. The lower third of the box was an ice cube.............think it got in thru the steering column but not sure. No gear looks rusted other than a few specks but I filled the box with oil for the short tow home. Will disassemble and pack with proper grease when I get to that point in the rebuild.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.................it all helped.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks