• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Locker, which axle would you put it in?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So on the SEMTT project, I have a locker assembly (Detroit) in another axle. My question is, which axle would you put it in? I'm thinking I'll pass on the front axle give how much of a pain it'd be to get it in there. But of the rear tandem, which axle would be the best? The rear most axle would be very easy to put it in. Middle would require pulling the 5th wheel plate and deck plate off.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For me it would go in the aft axle. Should it ever get called in for some road duty you could remove one shaft in the FWD axle and press on regardless saving tire scrub and improving mileage.

Triple C

I would think the rear, as you said it is easiest and from my experience on the road that axle has best contact. That's my two cents. Btw, awesome project, I have bee following it and can't wait to see it when it is done!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm, I think I found a new locker as well. I might just end up with lockers in both rear axles!

Excuse Me

Hmm, I think I found a new locker as well. I might just end up with lockers in both rear axles!
Do you have a video channel anywhere? If you do put 2 in, I would sure love to watch and listen to a video of a couple mile drive sometime.:driver:

If you only put one in, my vote is for the rear rear. If something crunches, you can remove the interaxle drive shaft and keep on keep'n on. IMO.

jwaller

I've got the detroits in the back axles of my 818 and I love it. Just try turning around on turf and not cutting furrows in your yard. Impossible... They are truly impressive.

Excuse Me

Do you have a video channel anywhere? If you do put 2 in, I would sure love to watch and listen to a video of a couple mile drive sometime.:driver:

Both rears with lockers and locked up soild together on walking beams, 38,000 miles FL. to Canada too many times.
WOW, what a rig. Do you have any video of it? Dont get me wrong, I am familiar enough with the detroit lockers that I get by fine with them, but I'd like sometime to hear what 2 of them locking in would sound like.
Thanks for the pic.

Moto2four

I know you said it would be a hassle, but I'd put it in the front simply because you can disengage it with a switch, that way you wouldn't have to constantly let off the gas around turns for the back wheels to unlock.

a better option than that would be to sell them both to me.

5tonman1971

I think the first set of duals/tandems should get it. Yes it's more work but if you think about it it's right in the middle and will most likely have good weight on it and would probably help you the most. Having it in the middle will also make it a bit easy to do sharp turns with it engaged. It's also is the first to hit an obsticle after the front tires which would make it easier to conquer.

Just my 2 cents.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

If you only put one in, my vote is for the rear rear. If something crunches, you can remove the interaxle drive shaft and keep on keep'n on. IMO.
patracy on youtube.

I know you said it would be a hassle, but I'd put it in the front simply because you can disengage it with a switch, that way you wouldn't have to constantly let off the gas around turns for the back wheels to unlock.

a better option than that would be to sell them both to me.
These lockers are full time, non controlled. Not an "ARB" locker. And no, not for sale LOL.

I think the first set of duals/tandems should get it. Yes it's more work but if you think about it it's right in the middle and will most likely have good weight on it and would probably help you the most. Having it in the middle will also make it a bit easy to do sharp turns with it engaged. It's also is the first to hit an obsticle after the front tires which would make it easier to conquer.

Just my 2 cents.
I'm thinking I'll just buy this other locker, then there's no question on which axle to put it in. :mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks