• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lockers or no Lockers?

Towman2277

I'm not sure if yours does, but my 1960 IHC Bridge truck does have rear lockers....hope that helps. I'd imagine yours does also, since their for extreme off-road transport.

m139h2otruck

ID Lockers

Our H2O truck is based on an M139 bridge truck built in 1961. Also have a 2nd truck waiting to come home that is almost a twin serial number wise. How do we tell if the diffs are lockers? Never really got it to spin the wheels much (gas motor), even in soft dry sugar sand with ½ a load of water on. Do lockers lockup when you spin just one wheel of an axle by hand? Tags are still on the axles, but not too readable. Any special codes or numbers?

Second question, do these trucks (bridge style) actually have a longer spacing between the rear tandems or is this just a guess by others members here. If this is so, bridge trucks would have to have different springs and tie/radius rods. I will measure our truck axle to axle and post it here.

Thanks (still trying to figure my camera and HP operating software!)

Towman2277

RE: ID Lockers

Yes, the "Bridge Trucks" normally have lockers in them, mine is a 1960 M328, which is a M139 chassis, with a Bridge transporting body, making it a M328. Mine is also the gas version (R6602), and it has lockers in the diffs. I always have to pull large pieces of machinery & Dumptrucks that are stuck in some very sticky, muddy situations, and it spins all ten wheels, all the time. As the spacing goes, the truck rear axles ARE longer in length, but the spacing between the front tandemn axle and rear tandemn ARE the same as other five tons, as I crawled over one not too long ago, and wondered the same thing. Now as far as the duece setup is concerned, it is more spaced apart. Remember, the 5-ton trucks were the extreme duty version of military trucks, so not too many of them don't have lockers.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

according to the g744 parts book ,ALL 744 (including m139) 5ts had the same gears (nolockers) in the diffs (ALL three are the same), my book even gives the makers number for the parts, as far as the 809 series goes, the -34p shows the same thing as the g744 book, as far as i know ,the only lockers in this series was the Marine 813s

Towman2277

Maybe in that case mine was added.....I can hook an object and in second gear, low range, on a dirt or sandy surface, it will spin all tires at the same speed, until i melt the tires, or drag the object! Same thing in muddy situations, its spinning all tires the same speed all the way around. I spoke to a fella at Idaho motor pool about maybe a second truck, and he said most DID have lockers. But hey, my wife claimed she was a great cook before we married....I beg to differ!! :lol:

M1075

Re: ID Lockers

m139h2otruck said:
Second question, do these trucks (bridge style) actually have a longer spacing between the rear tandems or is this just a guess by others members here. If this is so, bridge trucks would have to have different springs and tie/radius rods. I will measure our truck axle to axle and post it here.
The axle spacing is definitely greater (at least on the M812/M821/M945). It is 56" versus the normal 54" spacing on 5 tons. Check your data plates or manuals to see. The spring pack is different as it has more leafs (3 more I believe). Torque rods are also different. In the parts manual, you can see the different NSNs for the bridge trucks vs. other 5 tons.

As far as lockers go, I do not believe they have them. It seems logical that they would for backing down into and out of rivers, but I just don't see them in the manual. However, the M809 series manual does prescribe different part numbers for the Axle Housing, Axle Shafts, and the complete Axle Assembly. That is a surprise to me as I thought only the spacers were different. I found nothing to indicate lockers, though.

Towman2277

RE: Re: ID Lockers

In that case, mine was probably added at some point. I'm glad to have them though! If you really don't use your truck off-road enough to warrant having them, I wouldn't add them just to have them, but if you plan on going off-road frequently, then they most certainly help out! :driver:

m139h2otruck

Bridge truck axles

TOWMAN, are you able to drive your truck legally on the road at it's normal width? We had to flip the rear hubs and run singles to meet our State's width requirements. Truck was originally 9.5' wide and State only allows 8.5' without special permits. Also, are you sure that your axles are wider than standard 5 tons, as ours just had spacers on the hubs so the 1400 tires on the deep dish wheels would not hit the springs on the inside duals.

Towman2277

RE: Bridge truck axles

I am 100% exactly sure that the bridge truck axle housings are DEFINITELY longer than the standard 5-tons. The spacers are also added to have the proper backspacing with the 14:00/20's. I know this for a FACT as I had to purchase one once, and the housing is larger, and the axles are longer also. A 5-ton empty housing can be bought for around $300.00 plus shipping. A "Bridge Truck" housing, empty is $800.00!!! plus shipping! Call Boyce Equipment or Memphis Equipment, and they will tell you there's a big difference versus the standard 5-ton set-up. As to driving down the road with no problems, I don't have mine tagged as a commercial vehicle, and I don't present it as commerciallly used (ie. loaded down, etc), so I have never had ANY problems. I also watch what i'm doing, and be sure to stay in my lane, and as long as it appears that i'm driving it safely, i'm sure i'll never be questioned on the width. I am going to super singles though!!

derby

So the only way to really tell is go out in the mud and beat it? other than a tear down ,which I do not want to do.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Not true. Jack up an axle, leave the truck in gear and spin a tire. If the tires on the other side spin in the opposite direction, it doesn't have a locker.

Towman2277

When I jack up one of my axles (both sides of one axle) then try to spin a set with the truck in gear, they won't budge. When I throw it in nuetral, they both turn together at at the same speed, not opposite of one another. Another way you can tell is drive on some "fresh, new black asphalt" and turn your wheel, like making a turn. You can here all kinds of "tire screeching" on mine, because they are locked together. If you don't have lockers, it will turn with ease, no screeching.

derby

I did a little research today,center to center of the rear tandums is 56".I had ben told this buy M1075 it is true.I even checked the window sticker that came with the truck 56".weather has ben nasty, have not had a chance to jack up the rear axle yet.

Towman2277

I also know that the "torsion arms" on the bridge trucks are longer then the standard 5-tons, so that would mean that the rear axles are farther apart on the bridge truck. I read a post somewhere on here once thast said the difference in spacing was 4", but I can't remember who posted it.

derby

Ok jacked her uptoday, yah it's got a locker-locked up brakes on the pass. side.this would explain the lack of power! look's like I will be treaing into that project when the rims and tires come in.does anyone know the T.M. # and page that deals with 5 ton brakes. today's top speed is 9.6 kbps it will take me till Christmass to down load !

derby

Oh by the way, someone was looking for American made bottle jacks.lincoln makes them.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

try just backing off the adjustment, thats what i did on the 819 no more brake drag, ill look later for the pages

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

its tm9 2320-260-20 unit maintence for 5-ton 809 series
page 8-13 to 8-37 for the brakes

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks