• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lockout hubs all around...?

tamangel

Would there be any use/advantage/reasoning to install lockout hubs on all axles..? Curious as to having a choice at any time on which axle/s you want powered..I know most posts refer to lockouts on the front and 2nd axles and leaving the rear powered but I'm wondering if you have a failure in that rear axle, you could lock it out and run on the second axle only or even the front if need be...OK, now you can start laughing.. ':D' but it's a real question, really....

Mike

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I actually think this is a good idea……as 6 lockouts, all unlocked, would let a Deuce get awesome fuel mileage……

rofl

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....0&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

There are threads contained within here that address your idea, for the most part.

I'm not as knowledgeable as many here are about differentials. I just purchased one lock-out and axle for the forward-rear on my deuce, and there is a reason. One being, COST! Beyond that, you will find a number of technical reasons and that it is not necessary or practical to have so many.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great idea but at what cost? If you suffer a break you can always pull the shafts and inter axle driveshaft. Figure $1800 in 3 sets of hubs and another $800 or so in 4 double splined axle shafts takes you ut to $2600. It would be nead but difficult to justify in my opinion.

ida34

Re: RE: lockout hubs all around...?

clinto said:
I actually think this is a good idea……as 6 lockouts, all unlocked, would let a Deuce get awesome fuel mileage……

rofl
I think the milage would go down since you would not go anywhere. You could idle much longer though. :driver:

sermis

RE: Re: RE: lockout hubs all around...?

I am running lockouts on both front hubs. It really helped with steering issues on normal driving.
I have on lockout and double splined shaft on the front rear.
I tried with the lockout on the very rear axel but you get a lot of wheel hop and spin from the front rear when it is the only one pulling.
I pulled my bed for painting and drove to town. I had to lock the front rear in to keep the back rear from spinning.
I want to add lockers in the rear axels. I think then I will add a second lockout and double splined to the front rear so it can be disengaged but have no planes on adding lockouts to the back rear.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Sermis, there is almost nothing to gain by adding a second hub and double spine shaft to that fwd rear. Even with both hubs unlocked the carrrier will still be spinning as will the axle shafts. Or a worse case scenario, one of the axles may have a little drag and cause the spider gears to turn too fast and cause damage. I think I know what you're tryiing to do. Perhaps have it completely unlocked like the front axle? If that is your goal you would need to put the locker in the fwd rear, the 2 lockouts on the aft rear and use a driveshaft disconnect between the axles or remove that shaft alltogether. I've experienced your little trip to town thing before. I bobtailed my tractor all the way to Aberdeen and back with one rear shaft pulled and pulling the M103A3 genset trailer with the shelter on it. One slight grade at a truckstop, a light shower and sealed asphalt and I was stuck. Embarrasing to say the least, at least it was after dark and only a few folks saw it.

sermis

I only thought about a second lockout on the front rear if I add a locker. I know both axels in the front rear will still be spinning but with the lockouts it would not be pulling which would help on steering issues.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor

with hubs on both sides of the same axle, there is nothing to keep the spiders at or near zero rotation. there is a real danger of one shaft not turning and the other at double speed. two hubs is just a real bad idea with no gain at all.

sermis

If you have a locker in that axel won't both shafts turn at the same speed?

JohnnyReb

Re: RE: Re: RE: lockout hubs all around...?

Wouldn't a selectable air locker accomplish the same thing? Probably not much more expensive then a detroit if you factor in the cost of an additional splined axle and hub :?

sermis said:
If you have a locker in that axel won't both shafts turn at the same speed?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks