• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

long cargo trailer

tobyS

Has anyone made a trailer from the long cargo 5 ton bed?

I need to haul ground up wood to my place from 30 miles away and lay it down in a 4-6" bed about 4' wide right out of the trailer. Need lots of volume and a way to self unload. The long cargo seems a good start point for the basic bed and sides and will save a lot of time fabricating.

The cargo bed has a tunnel down the middle that could be return side of a belt or chain in a self unload system. I could see needing a couple augers too.

Please post any pictures of cargo beds made into trailers and give me your opinion of pintle versus gooseneck fifth wheel hitch for stability. Would be nice to pull with 929A2 pintle and have air over hydraulic brakes on my m105 axles, but I'm leaning toward one ton truck pull vehicle and using (3) 7k dexter axles with electric brakes that I have.

tobyS

Yep, that would work.
I think I better get more accurate weight requirement. A bolster trailer is a ten ton on road (I think) if it has same suspension as the 1061.
Worst case would be the bark/wood mix, wet. To estimate my volume I'll go 7'wide x 20' long x 6' high = 820 cubic feet. Saturated materials estimated at 20# per cu ft = 16,400#. I'll confirm this math with samples. How hard are bolsters to locate? Simply setting on top of a 1061 is an option.

pmramsey

I have built two types with the 20 ft military bed configuration. One is on a bolster trailer. It works well and runs on the standard bolster trailer tires. I use this for lighter loads...usually collecting baled hay from the field. See the photos including the photos of my M35A3 connected to it. I have several built out in this configuration. I also mount 20 honeybee colonies on each. The two photos with bee colonies on them are bolster trailers.

The other type of build out is the 20 foot trailer on the MT-2000 military trailer built for hauling 20 foot or smaller Conex boxes . This handles whatever I can put in it. It requires a 5-ton for operations. See photos. It runs on 235/85R/16 (G) tires.

Kitchen trailer ladders are perfect for easy access onto both types of trailers as you can see from the photos.

Good luck.L1000440.JPGL1000444.JPGL1000443.JPG20150527_153747_resized_5.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

pmramsey

The large crate on the trailer is one of two boxes to round out a complete 32 long maintenance tent. Came with a complete set of interior lighting and heating. Sorry...long since gone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks