• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at a M37

jtrux

A buddy called me the other day and asked if I was interested in a M37 that's out on his cousin's ranch. He apparently has 5 of them and this is the best one. Supposedly unmolested and complete. It ran several years ago but was parked and hasn't run since.

Sight unseen I offered $500. I do not know what they are valued at but I threw it out there. The worst he can say is no.

I do not have pics at this time but I plan on going to look at it in the next few weeks.

I've been looking for an old clapped out CJ to turn into a driver. My goal is to have a sleeper DD (maybe not necessarily a DD but I'd like to be able to drive it work sometimes.) So this popped up and I'm gonna take a look at it.

What do you guys pay for your non-running M37's that you drag out of fields?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I paid $1500 for a parts truck. Granted it had a disc brake set up and some other things that I was looking for but it wasn't a gem. It all depends on what's there and what kind of shape it's in. Ever hear the question "How long is a piece of string?" You need more to go on than a model number. Off hand I'd say $500 would be a tremendous buy for a complete truck unless the holes are simply held together by the remaining rust.

SteveKuhn

I'm not putting myself out as an M37 wizard, but I've done a fair amount of comparison shopping. Doesn't matter where you drag it from. Condition is everything. If it really is complete & original, 24v, maybe needing batteries, tune-up kit, tires, new rack & bow wood, hoses, belts, and no rust through, good engine condition (compression, leaks), fair interior condition, etc., it'd bring more'n $500 around here. Watch the List and auction site and use those as a yardstick. FYI: If it has the driver's door spare tire crane complete w/ spinner and all connections, that brings over half what you're offering as a take-off. If it has a tall shifter, that's worth a taste as well. A replacement radiator costs as much as one for a Deuce around here.

If you have a couple of weeks, spend some time in the Vintage Power Wagon catalog downloads to see what some of the parts might cost to purchase. If they're on the truck, that adds to the value. Also look closely at the parts diagrams for missing pieces and if possible spend some time walking among the collection and noting differences. Some of the ones in less favorable condition might have little stuff remaining that you can use as a comparison.

G741.org is an excellent source of information.

Best of luck.

Steve