• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at a M923A1 for the farm. Automatic?

racing4funn

I need to move equipment about 20 miles each way. I would like a truck to be able to run 65+ MPH. I dont know what to think about getting an automatic. I dont want expensive trans work. Is the Allison Excellent? Will this truck run 65 MPH or possible an easy modification to do so? I

I could get a manual trans truck instead. Also found a M35A2C with Hercules 465 Multifuel and 5 speed. I know its a step down to 2.5 ton from above listed 5 ton. My needs shouldnt matter with the 2.5 vs. 5 ton

Welder Sam

Turning the ip up and swapping 395's onto a deuce will get 65mph but.... its not safe and your going to kill your truck. If you really want 65mph steady, go get something shiny. I hear 923's will consistantly run that but im not sure id want to. Especially at the advertised 3-5mpg. My 816 gets 3-5mpg for sure but mpg=minutes per gallon

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not expect to run an M939 series truck at 65 MPH for any distance. They will do it, but they are not made to run that day in and day out. If you need that kind of speed, while towing equipment, I agree with WELDER SAM, think civvie. My $.02...

91W350

You are in the wrong ballgame. These were primarily designed to deliver a heavy load off road. If 55 plus is a primary concern, you will be much happier with a civilian truck, especially if your need for speed has a budget. The 923 is close, but dangerous at speed and the nifty 250 is not really functioning as designed in scream mode.

LanceRobson

The Allison in the M939 family of trucks is, like most all of them, pretty bullet proof within the performance envelope it was designed for and specified by the buyer for. But, no, an M939 series truck isn't an around the clock 65 MPH truck.

If I may interject a bit of reality; the difference in a 40 mile round trip between 55 MPH and 65 MPH is what, 4 minutes? What's the rush? There's not much in the work-a-day world worth going out of your way to be hurt for. If you have employees and operate equipment outside the design parameters you are asking to loose the farm.

You mention a manual transmission. It's not going to be faster. The HT-654 CR transmission in the M939 trucks has a lock-up torque converter in all five gears. Once it shifts and locks it has no more lost road speed than a manual transmission. The combination of engine max RPM, transmission final drive ratio and rear end gearing will determine the maximum sustained speed, not the transmission type.

When thinking of a working truck, the single biggest downside ,in my mind, of an M939 series truck, especially an A1 or A2 with the taller tires, is bed height. I'm 6'4" tall and the bed is at nearly shoulder height.

That said, the advantages of the M939 over the M44 (M35A2) series are real, and for a working farm truck those advantages seem decisive.

They have true spring air brakes as opposed to single circuit air assisted hydraulic brakes on the M44. With nearly all M44 series trucks if you loose any one hydraulic line you have NO brakes. With the M939 if you loose air pressure the spring brakes lock up and you stop.

The M939 has ABS; 'nuff said.

The M939 has power steering.

Remember that lock-up torque converter? The HT-454 CR has active transmission braking. When you foot is completely off the throttle it is actively braking (which led to the ABS upgrade but that's a different thread) and the transmission braking works even at low speeds and low RPMs. This, in turn, saves the service brakes for later and you really have to work at getting in a jam where the brakes can't stop you on even on a long steep slope etc. It's a nice safe bonus in a working truck, especially in hilly terrain.

The M939, if winch equipped, has the ability to run anything hydraulic that you brain cells can figure out how to plumb and control. Here's a thread with some details about adding a PTO to a w/o winch truck:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/89172-m939-m915a1-pto-info.html

Some years back there was a study of the comparison of driver fatigue, workload etc used by the TX DOT in a study as regarded future dump truck purchases. If my brain cell is correct the course was a 300 mile course that simulated 60% urban and 40% rural driving over varied terrain and compared a standard transmission (8 speed Road Ranger?) to an Allison automatic. The important part though is that the Allison driver shifted 8 times during the test. The standard transmission driver shifted over 2,400 times.

Operator comfort and fatigue counts for a lot, especially when a lot of low speed maneuvering is concerned. If all you need to do is pick the correct range on the transmission and drive you have a lot more attention to devote to safe and precise operation.

Buy the M939 truck and drive it as it was designed....

Lance

racing4funn

All good advice and thanks for helping me brainstorm. I believe a MV is still my best fit. I need the offroad ability to get hay out of the fields and equipment. A little extra time on the five or six 50 mile trips a year are a small trade off. I wasn't interested in the manual trans to go faster but I was thinking about durability.

Could the Allison automatics hold up to an EMP? LOL.. got to get that hay even if it is the end of the world..

Last edited:

SUPRDUD

Yes it will, if it is the older cable operated Allison!!!!

I have several large straight trucks on the farm with Allison trannys and they are a joy to use. Easy to get rolling in mud or a tight spot. Just ease into the throttle and away it goes. I just bought a pair of M915A1 semis and they drive just like new. 400hp is plenty to get it rolling and most of my farm driving is short hauls and slowing or stopping for blind corners.

I do miss the feel of working a manual trans and getting it "right" but autos have their place, too.

Take your time with a lower top speed and have some fun!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks