• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at a trailer mounted MEP-003a at GL

ksmailes

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I am looking at a trailer mounted MEP-003a for auction at government liquidation. I have read some horror stories about dealing with GL. Sould I just steer clear dealing with GL or can I get a good generator from them? I was wondering about the condition codes expressed on the GL site. Are the generators repairable, or is it not worth the risk?
Thanks.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you cannot preview, bid as if it is scrap. Anything can be fixed, if you put enough money into it. I would not tell anyone to steer clear, just know what you are bidding on, and hope they don't allow anyone to steal stuff from it between winning it and picking it up.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That genset will require an EUC as well so expect some time in February (at minimum) before you can pick it up. I bought one back in April and have just now located a starter relay for it that wasn't going to cost 10% of what I paid for the generator. Don't get me wrong, I love my unit and will love it even more when it will start and stay running, but don't expect that it'll be something you can just bring home and crank up. Some guys get lucky and it is that simple, some have to work at it a while like me, and others buy something that's just worth parts (or like GR said - scrap).

If you do get one, make the reference section here your best buddy, or better yet, buy a couple of cases of cold ones for somebody that worked on these units while they were in the service. It's not like picking one up at Northern Tools.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I am looking at a trailer mounted MEP-003a for auction at government liquidation. I have read some horror stories about dealing with GL. Sould I just steer clear dealing with GL or can I get a good generator from them? I was wondering about the condition codes expressed on the GL site. Are the generators repairable, or is it not worth the risk?
Thanks.

Welcome aboard....don't let the whole GL process scare you off. I have two of the MEP-003a's running just fine and had actually bought a 3rd for parts back in the beginning of my adventure.

The best advice I can give you is download and read the manuals from the resources section...they are about 4 or 5 pages into the TM section. The ones you want are TM 5-6115-585-12, -24P, and -34.

As to the condition codes from GL, they are a crap shoot at best, and outright lie at worst. It's not the fault of GL, they just code them according to how they were turned in. Keep in mind that a code of unservicable does not necesarrily mean that the unit is bad. The military uses a shelf life criteria in determining servicability as well as the actual condition. The set could be brand new, never run; but be so old that the age of it makes it unservicable in the eyes of the military.

As mentioned already, preview if at all possible. I was liucky, I didn't preview any of mine, but studied the pictures VERY closely and knew kind of what I was getting when I bid. Both engines fired right up, although the one was missing a blower wheel for the engine and I swapped out the reconnect box for the generator rather than replace the few bad parts inside...that's where the 3rd parts set comes into play. I'm only about 2 hours north of you...if you have any questions feel free to ask. Also, be prepared to pay good money for one....for some reason these sets have been bringing a premium price lately.

Avn-Tech

KSmailes,

I have purchased several things from GL (2 ea Deuces, 2 ea generators, 3 ea MKT's). The deuces fired right up (one needed little work) and drove both home. I have not had time to look at the generators yet (MEP-003 & MEP-004). The MKT's came partially filled, but worth what I paid.

If you need the generator manuals, PM me with your email, and I will email them to you (otherwise you spend lots of time searching the archives).

The wait time is a killer on the first purchase (EUC), but gets better after that.

Good luck
Avn-Tech

davidkroberts

ive gotten four generators from GL, two of them mep-003a's. The GL process isnt that bad just pay attention when your filling out the EUC and dont be in a hurry when your waiting for it to clear. They are repairable but parts for the Onan engine can be difficult and pricey when found. They are reliable and all of mine are now running my last one after only about five minutes of messing with it. They are also extremely heavy so its good that yours is trailer mounted.

It is more cost effective to buy two and use one for parts. At best you'll have two running usable generators and worst youll have a bunch of parts you can salvage until your good then sell the rest on ebay and the classifieds here.

I love my generators and buy sell and restore them for fun now part time

Isaac-1

I have bought 3 generators from GL,

a 3KW MEP-701a, filled with fluids, connected a good battery and it fired up, only problem was a small pinhole leak in the oil cooler, replacement cooler from ebay $40

a 30KW Kohler diesel skid mounted industrial generator, had been removed from an indoor installation, the exhaust was covered with a trash bag and duct tape, this rotted away in storage letting water into the engine lightly seizing it, after a good soak in a mix of ATF and Marvel Mystery Oil it freed it, only other problems a bad $12 oil pressure switch, some cut hoses and battery cables. (still has some minor issues, dead batt. gauge, half broken fuel pressure guage, etc.)

125KW Onan Diesel generator, needed a new $300 control circuit board, also had a bad ground point, and a couple of other minor things.

Just today I picked up a 9 year old electric picker type forklift from GL, still diagnosing the problems, may need a hydraulic pump. Original cost $19,450 I paid $487, 21 hours on the digital hour meter, missing ignition key, so I had to hot wire it.

Ike

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a 30Kw genset. All the fluids where drained. After 6gal of oil, filters, etc, she wouldn't fire up. After a few hours of troubleshooting I discovered that the injector pump was bad. $500 later and she ran like a top.

Ended up selling it and then it crapped out. Still troubleshooting the electronics.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a trailer mounted MEP-003A from GL and picked it up at Ft Jackson. I did not preview it, but I looked at the photos to make sure it seemed to have all the parts. Most of the generators at Ft Jackson at the time were junk, missing parts, etc. but this fact was evident from the photos. Mine was exceptionally good. The generator was excellent, brand new top and all tools in the tool case. New tires on the trailer. Much rust on the top portion of the trailer and broken brake line. I plan to sandblast the trailer and repaint it.

The generator fired right up and has functioned flawlessly since. I'm now looking for another genset for parts. I am very hapy with my generator. I should also add that I have now purchased this generator, and M-105A2 trailer and an M35A2 from GL. Except for a long wait for the EUC, GL was great. The local GL people at Fort Riley, Fort Indiantown Gap and Fort Jackson were all very good people, friendly and very helpful.

I bought one of the CDs for sale on Ebay with all of the manuals - a good investment.

Scarecrow1

If possible always preview it or have someone do it for you ...all in all I've been happy with what little I have picked up .... I don't put any money in it I can't afford to lose.....