• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking at buying m1009

coop426

I'm new here and want to say hello! but straight to the point I'm looking at buying an m1009 from a private seller and was wondering what I should look out for. I have heard that the rockers rust out quickly. but what mods have some of you done to yours to make them more fuel efficient, comfortable and fun to drive?

Westech

CPL
I would use the search function or just start reading posts in the CUCV section. you will find every answer to every question you can think of and many more. Welcome to the Site.

USAWEAPON777

:ditto:

Welcome to the site. Your not really going to be able to get any more fuel efficiency from the m1009. Well easily at least. It already has gearing for highway speeds. Also there are no real restrictions in the air/exhaust system to add up some free mileage. I would just go through and do all your standard maintenance to get as much out of your diesel as possible. I don't know how salted your roads are but in PA they salt the living crap out of everything :lol:. Make sure to inspect around the firewall area, the fenders, and the floorboards for rust. I've seen some with heavy rust (like mine) but it wasn't so bad that I couldn't salvage the original floorboards. Others well........... you might just put your foot through the 6in hole in the floor the rubber mat has been hiding. If you want it to be comfortable probably wanna replace the 25 year old shocks and springs depending on wear. As for driving, your driving a turd on wheels. Simply cruising around in them and taking them offroad is how I enjoy mine.

Westech

CPL
308 and a OD? that would be a DOG and prob take the engine out of the power band causing less MPG's.
With my 5 inch lifted 33" mud tire M1009 we squeaked 28 MPG's out of her one week but most of the time we were in the mid 20's.
You really cant go wrong with the set up that is in there.

ryan77

if you want good millage buy a prius!!!!!!!!!!!:grin: if you want a loud big solid rig buy a m1009!!!!

ryan77

Im used to being in a truck i feel uncomfortable in a sedan or one of these coffin car's like the "smart car" how smart is it when a suburban rear ends u in one of those death traps. Id rather lose some for millage for a bad ass truck i could drive through a wall. Diesel is expensive but worth it!! Just my 2 cents..............

coop426

i love diesel trucks! Just sold my 96 powerstroke today and i miss it already, but how is the ride in a m1009? im used to a f250 so how would you say it rates to that?

DXTAC

Welcome!! I have a TDI Golf for mileage (about 50 mpg) but I usually opt for "MONGO" my 1009 instead cause it's just cool and fun to drive. I don't quite get 25 but more like 19-21 mpg but Mongo does get better mileage than my 2005 Caravan though.

As far as what to look for, that depends on what your going to do with it. If it's going to be a daily driver pay attention to the engine and trans (rusty body parts can be changed fairly easily and cheaply - an engine or trans will cost you if they go). Check for leaks on the ground under the engine, trans and diffs. Look for anything wet on the underside. Try to hear a cold start so you can listen for any unusual sounds (these make MANY weird sounds anyway) out of the ordinary. Look at the idiot lights when it starts, all should light up AND GO OFF after it starts. After it warms up a bit take it for a drive and really pay attention to the shifting of the tranny. Feel for slippage through the gears. Test 4 High and 4 Low to ensure the transfer case is in good shape. Check the steering for wander, pulling or binding. This could lead to MANY bad things. Check the brakes for squeaking, pulling, sponginess etc. Do a "Panic" stop to see if it pulls to one side or another.

Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, you may be able to fix many of these issues yourself. But if you're not, be prepared to learn or pay someone to fix the problems. These are just some of the BASIC things to look for. When I go look at vehicles I take my time and look them over carefully so I know exactly what I'm getting. The thread mentioned above, "What have you done to your CUCV" is a good read to hear what others have done or plan to do.

Good luck and welcome from Illinois!!

Last edited:

jamesonsdad

:ditto:but with a smile on your face,trust me you'll love it but as stated read,read and read some more they are the simplest vehicle i have ever worked on and don't be afraid to ask questions the folks on here are great with either an answer or to point you in the right direction....

ryan77

You get more looks in a M1009 in Chicago land area then if you where in a $100,000 Mercedes benz!!!! Plus liberals hate them and driving it downtown on a sunday with straight pipes is awesome scares rich people!!!!!!!

ryan77

I love pissing liberals off its one of my joys in life next to Portillo's hot dogs and Miller Light!!!!!

sarge1

Do some checking on the harmonic balancer to see if the inside portion seems to have any wear. They have a reputation for leading to crankshaft issues and engine failure if they aren't in good shape. Highly unlikely you will find a truck for cheap with good wiring, but if you read around, you'll see a whole bunch of owners, myself included have electrical issues because so many connections and wires are corroded from age and dirt. Speaking from my experience, look and see if there is any sign of lube flying up from the tire area and getting on the inside of the wheel well and/or splattering up onto the sides of the truck. My axles, front and rear have had issues with leaks and losing fluid after putting about 1000 miles on it since I bought it; not a real cheap fix if you are not capable of fixing it yourself.

Also, you might take a good look at the driveshaft. Mine doesn't have any issues but several owners have trucks where the driveshaft was damaged previously I believe by hoisting the trucks up from that area. Haven't read on that one for a while so I may be a little mixed up on that but I would be pretty concerned if my driveshaft was dented.

Other than that, a lot of other good suggestions have already been mentioned.

Mohawk Dave

I also have Ford Superdutys and my M1009 rides MUCH smoother. A LOT! Mileage=PM all the way, add a turbo-Banks sidewinder.

I get about 20 mpg in mine. My build thread is in my signature.

Best wishes,

Dave

Smokinyoda

Welcome to the site! Havn't heard of Mascoutah in several years, not since living at Scott AFB many many years ago. Thanks for bringing back good memories!;-)

As far as mileage, its a 25 year old 3/4 ton vehicle. You would have a hard time getting 20+ plus mpg from a similiar sized vehicle today! And the fact that you can add up to 50% wmo gets you a helluva cheap to operate daily driver if you find the right one!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks