• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at buying M927 or FMTV

ketsueki82

This is my first post so go easy on me and please move if this is the wrong section for this.

I'm a military brat so I've been eyeing the green iron since I was very young but couldn't join due to my health issues. I am now looking at the 5 ton long frames for a camper. I know that I want a extended frame for the bed space but don't know in depth the differences in the types.

So far im looking at the M927 and the FMTV I think I understand the pros and cons of both trouble wise, but now I'm getting deeper into the research and have more questions like what are the pros and cons of the bonnet vs. cabover design, are there different frames for different equipment like I think I heard a few of the previous models (mainly regarding the ribbon bridge carrier) had differences in frame design, and are there differences in the handling of the vehicles offroad. (I have driven a M939 offroad before)

I'm not looking to start a debate over which is better just looking to add to the facts I have before I pull the trigger on one. I found most of the common problems in the forum so I understand them I'm just trying to bring my decision to a final one.

Sorry ahead of time if I ramble or don't make myself clear the first time as I am high functioning autistic. Just ask me to try to clarify as my way of speaking doesn't always make sense to others what I'm trying to convey.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard :grin:

Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

I don't have any first-hand knowledge of either of the vehicles you're considering. But I'm sure that those who do know about them will soon bee replying. This s good bunch of MV enthusiasts who are always willing to help.

Again, WELCOME!

John
SS Chaplain
San Angelo, Texas, USA

ketsueki82

Welcome aboard :grin:

Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

I don't have any first-hand knowledge of either of the vehicles you're considering. But I'm sure that those who do know about them will soon bee replying. This s good bunch of MV enthusiasts who are always willing to help.

Again, WELCOME!

John
SS Chaplain
San Angelo, Texas, USA
Thanks for the welcome.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
M939s part sources in the civilian world are more readily available and cheaper than FMTV parts. 939s have less complex wiring systems. M927 is longer. With the frame bracing. M939s will not eat up tires as fast as an FMTV that is full time 4x4. M939s have a higher top end speed with 395s, 1400s, 1600s than FMTV trucks that have not had high speed gears swapped in.

FMTVs can have more power with their A1 and A1R1 units. Upwards of 350hp with some computer talking. LMTV trucks have an air ride cab so they do ride and handle better in close quarters.

Price wise a 927A1 or A2 may cost you what you can get two M1088A1s for at auction. Would be cheaper to find a 934 and pull the box off. 934 is 2ft shorter than a 927.

If it were me I would go with a m939 and factor in an engine upgrade in place of the $5000 folks want for a pair 2.87 FMTV gears or in a 6x6 you would need a third. For well under $5000 you could easily install a big cam into the 939 and make it a different beast.

ketsueki82

I didn't think of the tractor units, does anyone know if you need a CDL to drive a 5th wheel with no trailer? It falls well under the GVWR for my state.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I didn't think of the tractor units, does anyone know if you need a CDL to drive a 5th wheel with no trailer? It falls well under the GVWR for my state.

Best to get one so you have an understanding of air brake systems. It's not hard

I don't think Ohio needs one for personal use or rv use.

ketsueki82

Best to get one so you have an understanding of air brake systems. It's not hard

I don't think Ohio needs one for personal use or rv use.
To get RV plates you need cold storage, cooking facilities, a table and a bed installed that would bypass CDL granted if I had the room in the cab I could get that in a day with parts I already have.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They make a 20ft CHU unit. Complete with everything. Also an AAR unit that is similar but only 14ft long

Profo built this 927

ketsueki82

FMTV all the way, Im not biased at all. heres 1 for sale, How much Gold do you have?
Nah I'm the scratch build type I've helped several friends rod out older cars and trucks as well as doing RV upgrades, so I am just going with the base platform and go from there myself.

ketsueki82

They make a 20ft CHU unit. Complete with everything. Also an AAR unit that is similar but only 14ft long

Profo built this 927

I have found several pictures of the containerized housing units, however I can't find anything on the AAR does AAR stand for after action review in this case or am I using the wrong terms?

I'm mostly only familiar with the equipment used by petroleum handling units and comms.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have found several pictures of the containerized housing units, however I can't find anything on the AAR does AAR stand for after action review in this case or am I using the wrong terms?

I'm mostly only familiar with the equipment used by petroleum handling units and comms.

AAR is the company

14ft

20ft iso

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks