• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking for a mep 005a alternator

Rickety Bones

to expensive for me, thinking of just removing the guts of the alternator, replacing the bearings and using it as the idler pulley for the fan belt and buying a 24v battery charger that runs on 120v ac for it. i think it will accomplish the same thing.

comments accepted, any thoughts

rick

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
to expensive for me, thinking of just removing the guts of the alternator, replacing the bearings and using it as the idler pulley for the fan belt and buying a 24v battery charger that runs on 120v ac for it. i think it will accomplish the same thing.

comments accepted, any thoughts

rick
I suppose that would work, charger might not be regulated like the alt would be. What's wrong with the alternator?

Rickety Bones

stator, regulator and armature is SMOKED !!!

black and crispy, stick a fork in it, its DONE>>>>>

HAHA

the alt is rated at 35 AMPS, I just found a 35 amp 24V regulated battery charger for 70 bucks.

i think that might work just fine

I ask my alt guy why this unit smoked so bad, he said that if the battery's are not fully charged, the alt overheated and that's why it smoked it. he said alternators are not designed to recharge dead batteries and that I should always make sure that the batteries are well charged before starting it

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
stator, regulator and armature is SMOKED !!!

black and crispy, stick a fork in it, its DONE>>>>>

HAHA

the alt is rated at 35 AMPS, I just found a 35 amp 24V regulated battery charger for 70 bucks.

i think that might work just fine

I ask my alt guy why this unit smoked so bad, he said that if the battery's are not fully charged, the alt overheated and that's why it smoked it. he said alternators are not designed to recharge dead batteries and that I should always make sure that the batteries are well charged before starting it

Good info to know, I have the same motor and alt in my SGPRSMD.

PeterD

... I ask my alt guy why this unit smoked so bad, he said that if the battery's are not fully charged, the alt overheated and that's why it smoked it. he said alternators are not designed to recharge dead batteries and that I should always make sure that the batteries are well charged before starting it

Two things:

1. Generally alternators are self limiting.
2. The alternator in the MEP-004/5 has a fuse. (Disclaimer: I've not studied what the fuse protects however!)

I suspect something other than charging 'dead' batteries is the cause.

Rickety Bones

Ok, im coming up with more questions,

what inside the 005a runs on 24v besides the starter and the fuel pumps?

does anyone know?

Last edited:

leedawg

The alternator should still not have blown...
Agreed I cant conceive the military would put something in that would require such attention to detail as not to have to dead a battery for the alt to not go up in smoke. Sounds like something went wrong inside the alt. How much did Delks want for an alt?

buck

Just wondering what you finally did with the alternator on your mep-005? I've got a simular problem. Found an alternator on ebay for 350 plus 105 shipping. Will call Delk's tommorrow and check there cost/availablity. Did you try using a 24 volt battery charger and if so did it work? Thanks for any info/help you can offer.

bosko

When i got my MEP-005a It had a log book in one of the boxes. There were notes saying that the batteries were changed several times and that the unit did not charge the batteries. I tested it and couldnt get the altenator to charge, So i took it to an altenator shop in town, they told me it was junk and cant rebuild it, needed to buy a new altenator. So i took it to another place and when I walked in the door with it the alternator guy had a real good idea what it was out of just by looking at it. He went through it and installed a new modern style regulator and other parts inside of it, and reattached the loose military connector for me, works perfect and charged me $120.

Last edited:

buck

Thanks for the reply Bosko. I suspect I've got the same regulator problem you described. I've also gotten the same "It's junk" stories from local "experts" when dealing with military starters/alternators, etc. Unfortunatly, I havn't been as lucky as you in finding someone locally that can handle the military stuff. My alternator problems will soon be over though, as I have ordered a rebuilt unit from Delk's. $250.00/exchange. I have gotten several items from Delk's in the past and have always recieved excellent service. William, Delk's generator expert, is familiar with all military generators, has always known what I was talking about (even when I didn't), has always known what I've needed (even when I didn't), and I've always ended up with the right part for a simple install/repair. I highly recommend Delk's for anyone who can't find a shop locally for thier needed repairs.

1800 Diesel

Looks like my alternator is bad in my mep 005a, does anyone know where I can get a new or used one ?
If you're not in a big hurry, I may have an extra alternator (from an MEP4)...have a couple units that may not be worth fixing but would serve a donor units...but it'll take a few months before I get to these....have several to work on ahead of these....

Kevin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks