• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for genset-related wisdom

OD_Animal

Verified all the jets were clear prior to reassembly, pretty much by doing exactly what you stated. Poked that little red straw into every nook, cranny, jet, valve, and passage I could find in there and sprayed it clear. It is possible that some stray carc flakes managed to sneak back in though. I havent checked to see if the bowl is filling up or not, only verified that the fuel fitting entering the carb from the pump is getting fuel... so I will probably start with the bowl as you suggest. There are 2 plugs blocking what appear to be alternative locations for the fuel inlet lines and 1 plug that appears to be for draining the bowl (pictures attached). I'll yank one of the upper plugs for an inlet line and see if any fuel comes out while I crank it over.

Attachments

OD_Coyote

If you did not do so already; I would recommend checking the operation of the float check valve if the float bowl is dry. Also, is the float level set properly??? 2cents2cents

deuceaid

Banned
2 more things, in the last picture there is what looks to be a needle screw that points down towards the venturi, I would make sure that is open at least 1.5 turns,,,,,,

and one last thing would be to take the bowl , and it looks like you could do it,,,, plumb in a hose barb and clear tube on the bottom, and manually fill the carb with some gas to the proper hight ( with main fuel off) and see what happens......if it runs good, then open up mainfuel and see what happens.

Sounds like it getting closer and closer. [thumbzup]:popcorn:

OD_Animal

Popped open the capped point at the top of the bowl today, and as you fellers suspected the bowl was dry. Poked a piece of wire into the hole and made sure float was free, no issues there. Went with deuceaid's suggestion and attached a elbow fitting to the open point and added some tubing to fill up the bowl. Engine caught and fired almost immediately, and ran steadily until it finished off the bowl.

Started at the tank and started working my way through the system. Located my culprit after about 15 mins of searching... of course it was at the very last item before the carb. I had cleaned and checked fuel was getting to everything up to the carb, but had neglected to inspect the union fitting that connects that last fuel line to the carb. Removed the mutinious piece and found it to be jam-packed full of CARC, I'm quite relieved the pump didnt have enough pressure to push that mess into the carb that I'd spent two solid days cleaning (those carburator pics are the 'before' pictures, so dont go thinking I threw it together with alla those potential 'jet-cloggers' still in it).

Cleaned and reinstalled that union fitting and primed the system (thanks liftman for identifying that primer lever for me, no idea why it wasnt noted in my manuals) and hit the master switch. She runs far better than one would expect a 40 year old engine with a history of neglect to run, and keeps the voltage meter pegged right on 28 volts, right where it should be. Verified voltage with a multimeter and will be load testing in the next day or two using it to test the hydraulic pressure carts that are next on my repair list.

Hopefully nothing catches fire when I put a load on it.... should be interesting at very least.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks