• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for non-turbo, or formerly non-turbo deuces

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I know that a lot of you guys have added turbos to former naturally aspirated Multifuel engines (LD-465).

If you have a deuce that came without a turbo - I'd like the following info.

Serial number, make and date of mfr of the naturally aspirated engine
Serial (ViN), model (M35A2, M292A2, etc), contract and registration (AKA "hood" or "USA" number) of the truck its in.

All info will be kept confidential - and if you are concerned about posting it, PM me or email me at ddoyle9570 at aol.com.

Thanks,
David

CGarbee

I recently worked on a truck for a buddy that still had the engine tag on the front right side saying that it was normally aspirated, although it had a turbo on it and the injector pump had a tag stating that it was updated for turbo use. I'll chase him down and get the info for you...
Conversion to whistler turbo was done while the truck was still in Army hands...

rwelker

non-turbo deuce

David, I have a 71 AM General that was non-turbo when I got it. I'm at work; will get numbers for you over the weekend and send them to you. It was in Desert Storm by the way; was a rusted mess when I got it but was painted sand with the inverted V. Do you know if some of the trucks were shipped on top of ships and got alot of salt water? Mine was rusted at places I've never seen before. And all the bolts were a mess to get off. Rick

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: non-turbo deuce

Rick, I've runa across a few trucks with peculiar rust. My pipeline came from Puerto Rico and had the worst frame rust I've ever seen. A buddy bought one that must have been parked on a beach with a westerly wind. One side of the truck looked perfect, the other side completely rusted out!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Yes, shipping vehicles and aircraft on ship is the only realistic way to move many 1000's of them. Being parked topside for the journey subects the vehicle to alort of salt air and salt water, and can really speed up the rusting process.. One of my buddies who deployed from Ft Hood to OIF said that NO ONE with any brains (maintaince type guys) wanted to be topside due to the corrosion problems. But some not so bright battalion commander who wanted his stuff to be first of the ship when they got to port gladly parked all this stuff on the top deck... That BN had twice the ammount of maintaince to perform to get their stuff combat ready before they traveled a mile out of the port. sending vehicles by sea really beats them up, all the rocking and constant motion doesnt do good thing. Add salt water/air to those on the top deck, and your really asking for trouble.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

Rick and Cabel,
That info will be handy. As far as rust goes - I once saw some USMC five-tons that had been overseas-shipped topside and the hoods were rusted through - and I don't just mean in the usual places!

Salt water is tough on these vehicles....as I imagine those that bought the hurricane battered trucks sold not long ago are soon to learn.

Best,
David

jasonjc

When I left the big sandbox the frist time all are truck and helicopter whent on the navys RORO (rollon rolloff) ships most where inside but the unlucky few whent on the top deck open. I need to get the pic scan.

Adamlee

david doyle nonturbo question

david, the info I added re: kaiser jeep thread is a non-turbo from 1970, motor date code seems all 1970 original and N/A.

adam lee

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks