• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for Oshkosh HEMTT or 10-ton

sharper

I am looking to start a business and am in search of either Oshkosh HEMTTs or 10-ton trucks. I have been looking online quite a bit, however can only fine the Logistics HEMTT with the 'hitch' in the middle. I am looking for just the cab and chassis so that I can build the truck the way I want to. I am wondering if anyone knows of a better place to search for these trucks. The help is greatly appreciated.

mcmullag

rebuild program

Oshkosh has a program where they bring the HEMTTs back to their factory and tear them down and run them back down the assemly line and update them.
These trucks may be hard to come by for quite awhile.... but who knows.
If you tell us more about what you want to do with the trucks, folks here may be able to give you some good suggestions on a better route to go as there are lots of professional civilian heavy duty truck folks on here that own military vehicles for fun.

News : Oshkosh Defense

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The Army version of the HEMMT is hard to find on the surplus market.

They were never manufactured in the numbers that deuces and 5 tons were....and as stated above many of them have been or will be rebuilt.

Finding a turn key HEMMT will prob be difficult......and the logistics of owning one might present some challenges. They are maintenence intensive, ride like and oxcart and will suck the bottom out of the fuel tank. The cab forward design can be hard to adjust to on turns.

The two stroke Detriot diesel engine is only happy when it's running wide open and coupled with the automatic transmission that can be an issue.

We had them in Korea in the tank battalion I was in and used them to haul fuel and ammo.

When they are empty they will skid like a hog on ice if you hit the brakes too hard.

IMHO they would not make a practical work vehicle uness you have the infastructure (good shop and mechanics) to support them.

sharper

Thank you very much for the replies.

I am going to be starting a Contracting Firefighting business with the vehicles. I will be putting a water tank on the back of the trucks and use them as water tenders. I want to make the truck worth it, and that is why I am looking for a tough, durable truck that can go just about anywhere.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The tanker version would be your ideal vehicle but they are made of Unobtainium and I have never seen one for sale on the surplus market.

Oshkosh sold a version for fire fightin but I can't find any pics.

You might contact OSHKOSH directly and ask if they have some for sale.......it's my understanding that they had first crack at the surplus ones that didn't get rebuilt.

Scooteerr

Hey, if you are wanting a Hemtt style truck, get one of those mk48/18 and take the hydrolic rams out that make it articulate and weld some Steel i-beams in there and make it rigid (or you might be able to seize the rams up or something so they won't move

sharper

I have seen quite a few of those for sale online. I was wondering why there are so many of the Logistic Vehicles for sale, but none of the other variations? Does anyone possibly know why? But I never did think about doing that to the truck, the only downside that I have seen with the Logistics version is a lighter payload than the original.

KsM715

Hey, if you are wanting a Hemtt style truck, get one of those mk48/18 and take the hydrolic rams out that make it articulate and weld some Steel i-beams in there and make it rigid (or you might be able to seize the rams up or something so they won't move

How do you steer it? I thought the steering was different between the LVS and the HEMMT.

Scooteerr

the hemtt steers using just the front two axles... the mk48 on the other hand uses the front two axles to steer, like the hemtt, but also articulates to help with turning and make the turning radius smaller.... I do not have a first hand experience with this but i hear that the articulation and front 2 axles steering makes it prone to rolling n a steep grade wile turning and can get squirly quick if you are unexperienced with it.... but making it rigid would make it alot safer but make the turning radius bigger.... if only you would turn the articulation on and off... turn it on to help with turning at intersections but off at higher speeds to make it safer... i wonder if it could be done... hmmmmm