• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for some history

Crazyguypa

I am looking to find out any info that I can on my new truck. From what I gathered from Justin in Chambersburg, the truck came from the 316th ANG in Pittsburg. I wonder if anyone could find out it's previous history.

Here's the info I got off the data plate:
Contract# - DAAE06-70-C-0001
ID# NK06RD 0540-13595

There was also a DTID# on the hood (W908CL), which is some government code, but hell if I know what it means.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The DODAC W90CL comes back to the 316 AG Company, USAR out of Ft Totten NY.. What did Justin tell you and whats the bumper #'s on the truck?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Got some further info for you.

Before it went to the 316th AG your truck belonged to the 449th MAINTENANCE CO. I'm fairly sure this unit use to be located on Fort Tilden, NY (southeastern NYC somewhat near JFK Airport). Appears the unit deployed/was deployed prior to Sep 2004 but the truck remained behind. Unit inactivated and passed the truck to the 316th with 35877 miles on it around that Sep 2004 timeframe.

Nomenclature:
TRUCK CARGO 2-1/2T Model: M35A2C
NSN:2320009260873
Serial Number:54013595 Registration Number:NK06RD
Year of Mfg:1973

Hope that helps.

Crazyguypa

Justin had just told me the 316th was out of Pittsburg. There were no bumper markings that I found as of yet. The only marking for the 316th was done in black crayon.

So from what I gather this was a Airforce truck. Was the 449th MAINTENANCE CO. also Airforce? I'm ex-Navy so the AF and Army codes are kinda foreign to me. I'm just looking ahead for what the bumper markings will be when I get the truck blasted and repainted.

I just went back and looked at the truck this morning and it appears to have been repainted not too long ago. Of course the paint job was just to make it OD grren by an means possible. It also appears, they put new tires on the truck not too long before they turned in the truck.

The truck runs, and there isn't a leak at all anywhere on the truck. The brake lights and the right turn signal are the only two things that are none functional so far that I have to fix. It looks like I won't have any problems driving it home, which is a good thing. I was getting shipping quotes of $750 to go 85 miles (York, PA). That's a bit steep if you ask me. :shock:

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I'm kinda perplexed why you think the truck was used by the air force? The serial number and registration number match up to the vehicle decribed above. Emmado22 is 100% correct that the Department of Defense Activity Address Code (DODAAC) for the DODAAC you provided W908CL is for the 316 AG CO 2 PLT FORT TOTTEN NY. That's a personnel administrative support unit. I don't think this unit used this truck based on the fact the unit apparently received the truck in 2004 and was converted to LMTV M1078 cargo trucks last year or earlier (personal knowledge). It appears they didn't even have/take the time to put on the bumper numbers. The maintenance unit it origianally belonged to inactivated so they sent the truck to the next closest unit with a shortage for that type of vehicle. I personally would go with the maintenance unit markings versus the personnel unit markings. My S.W.A.G. is the truck spent more time with them than the 316th.

Bumper markings would be

passenger side front= 77RC 449 OD CO
drivers side rear bumperette 77RC
449 ODCO

From what I remember the 449 did a fairly decent job when they deployed. I recall it was a very large unit with a ton of vehicles.

Crazyguypa

The truck belonging to the Airforce was only an assumption on my part. Mostly based on the gray paint in the cab interior and on parts of the exterior where it was showing through, which I have seen in many pictures as their color of choice.

I appreciate all the info you guys (emmado22 & medlog) gave me. Like i said when i get the truck blasted and repainted I want to put the markings back on, and what better ones to use than the ones that actually represent the vehicles history.

Thanks again.

Frank

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frank,

If you are looking for assistance picking up, I may be able to help. I drove my two home to York from Chambersburg in May. Also, I got a quote from Douglas Equipment of 350 bucks to pick up the deuces should you still be considering that route.

I'm not too far from Windsor. You'll likely see me around.

Regards,

Jake

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Hey Jake,

How's my...your truck!?

Showed them to one of the guys from the former unit and he was absolutely estatic. He had actually drove one of them to DRMO and towed another behind it. Of course he and some other guys took six there in one day. He had some good tales about that trip.

medlog