• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking to buy a 1985 m1009

jstephens8510

i was on ebay and i found a 1985 m1009 near my house, im debating about buying it, i do have a few questions.

M1009 Military 4x4 Chevrolet K-5 CUCV Blazer Truck 6.2L : eBay Motors (item 110487933999 end time Feb-09-10 19:35:00 PST)

1. can the 24 volt system be swapped for 12 volt system?

2. what is the gas mileage and can it get up around 80mph?

3. can i put over the shoulder belts in the back seats?

4. diesel vs gas what are the pros and cons?
( do more problems occur on the diesel and also are the motors harder to work on?)

5. is the m1009 good for daily driver?

6. i have heard about problems starting the motors in the cold weather. i live in southern California would the cold weather problems still apply to me?

7. installing stereo, off road lights ect, can this be done on the 24 volt system?

moleary

1. Yes - but there is no reason to do that. There is a 12V take-off for your stereo and other civy electronics.

2. I would have to guess around 16 mpg (I have a 6.2L HMMWV and I get 12mpg) and no - 80mph is not gonna happen

3. Sure

4. Diesel is better - for more detail do a web search

5. Yes - if you aren't used to a BMW

6. What do you think? :)

7. 24V lights - yes, no reason to do a 24V stereo - there's a 12V take-off (all the gauges are 12V)

dia615

That is a nice cucv your bidding on!

1) Yes you can change the system, but you'd prob be better off just to keep it 24V

2) Gas milage isnt that bad. It depends on local/highway 18 to 23 isnt out of the ordinary. I wouldnt take the CUCV over 65mph.

3) I dont see why you couldnt do that w/seatbelt

4) The diesel motor is a good motor. I think it might even be more reliable. That truck has 70k on it, if you take care of it you prob could get another 100k out of the motor. Good fuel ecoomy for a V8. These trucks are not hard at all to work on. We Knew very little about diesel when we got the truck and we are learning more everyday. Diesel will cost you more at the pump than gas.

5) I drive our CUCV during the winter for weeks at a time. No prob as a daily driver just warm it up and go.

6) We have had some cold starting issues. Just make sure your glow plugs are good, batteries have juice, and starter/alts are working properly. We had glow plug issues that were easily solved with a glow plug removal tool. Our truck starts up at 0 deg (with pedal to the floor ) 95% time on the first shot, so i doubt you will have many cold starting issues.

7) Yes you can install pretty much anything on these trucks. Someone (maybe motor mayhem ??) actually did a tutorial on radio install.

i have been eyeing that one for awhile...Luckily for you I live in NY :lol: and Im not looking to drive cross country

Last edited:

wdbtchr

Just out of curiosity, what is the clamp mounted on the drivers side just behind the seat? I have one of these on my forklift and don't know what it's for.

Looks like a nice vehicle.

countryboy

I got a m1008 and in North Dakota If you got a block heater they start fine Mine started at 40 below when it was plugged in just took little longer to start and no need to convert to a 12volt system

jakwi

theoretical top speed at redline of 3600 rpm is around 105 according to one of those drive line calculators.

I've driven mine at 70 all day long, I suppose you could push it to 75, but it seems a little uncomfortable for me at those speeds.

Just a note every m1009 I've been in indicates 5mph faster than actual according to my gps. so my speeds above are actual, ie 75 - 80 indicated.

I live in colorado and use a block heater, although I've started it without the block heater at 15 F with no issues.

Diesels rock, and you can't beat the 15 to 20 mpg. I imagine at 80 the mpgs go down a bit, but at 60 there are many reports of greater than 20 mpg

ditto on the 24v to 12 v question. 24 volts is only for the starter, everything I've found under the dash is 12v.

Dodgeman1941

Diesel is a good thing, mpg is a little higher that what it would be if it were gas, plus these things are pretty good for torque. Somewhat easy to work on, no fancy electronic bs found in vehicles since the '90s. We run 70 on the highway, no big deal, it's "happy place" for speed is 55-65, you can feel that it's at it's limit at 70-75.

Daily Driver; we drive ours all the time, we put 20,000 miles on in the first year we owned it. A little louder, slower, and skittish than our '99 Durango, and if were planning a 5 hour trip on the highway were we can sneek away with 75-80 mph, I would rather have the Durango other than the Durango's 5mph worse MPG. Unless it is a longer highway drive I would rather take the blazer.

If there is not a problem with any of the 24v parts, don't mess with a good thing. Any part of the truck that is not mil spec. ie; anything you would have on a normal blazer, it is 12v {lights, gauges, wipers, ect.} so 12v is readily available, we have radios, ect. in ours, no problems.

The "little clamp thing" located behind the drivers seat will not be found on a hi-lo unless you guys are bad-a$$ with your hi-lo, it's the upper clamp for the gun rack. It does look like a parking brake that alot of hi-los have.

Good Luck,

Lew VB

southdave

I have one that was basket case, I swaped the tranny out for 700r4 for better fuel econ. and I also installed a turbo out of 6.5
Have few more thing to do like brakes and wheel bearing before I run it but I am confident that I get 24mpg and run at 70 -75 okay. I have nothing but head ace out the 24v system , mine is stiil intacted, however I have pass the GP controler. I have also bypased the Starter relay in favor of a push button dircectly wired starter. sorry about the M35 thought it was the after pic of my 1009

Attachments

kenny

I read the add and saw somthing I do not like about the auction already.

10-bolt Dana 60 Front Axle (open)
This truck is all original with no modifications.

When did Dana 60s ever go in a M1009???

Other than that it look nice but to over priced for me

Last edited:

Cucvnut

no he is a dude selling MV stuff with no idea what he is selling. i talk talked to him via email and i was not impressed. if your in so cal check out 100dollarman.com he posts here he has mv's mark is a good guy.

as for the axle its a corporate 10bolt with 308 gears thats it. the dana 60 came on the M1008 trucks and up.

notsosanestan

wow cant believe that truck sold for 5100$! i wouldnt have bought it u can tell he just painted it and painted the underneath black

topgun217

Nice looking truck, but is there anything they didn't paint flat black other than the body? I'm not knocking the truck, but I like to see them as they were ment to be ie: original red color interior etc. $5100? WOW! just my opinion

Sajer

I followed a few of his autions over the past 6months and that truck sure looks just like one I saw a few months ago.

$5100 wow.