• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking to buy a blazer.

Redfive0

Looking to buy a blazer. what should and shouldn't i want and be on the look out for I'm going to look at seven of them this Friday. I'm also new to the m109 family and this will be my first blazer so its a lot to digest I'm also going to drive it everyday to and from work about 20 miles total a day. Any tips? thanks

Shop Rat Fab

Here are my suggestions on what to look for and this is only in my opinion. Obviously rust especially behind the seat where the gun holders are on the floor and the rocker panels. Worn door hinges and striker plate/pin. Next would be glow plug wait to start operation, if it is inop the Glow Plug Controller card starts at $50. I would make sure the charging system is operating based on the voltmeter on the dash or by using a hand held voltmeter on the batteries, a rebuilt alternator can be over $125 each to buy and not sure on cost of having one rebuilt. Dash light operation but thats an easy fix just twist the bulb sockets and the liights will start working if the bulbs are not burned out. Good Luck in your search.[thumbzup]

firecontrol86

are you buying from a dealer? that's what i did. i test drove a few of them and started figuring out which ones would need the most to make it a daily driver. for example one sounded like it ran a little better than another, but on the road it was like i was in a fight to keep it in my lane. i definitely agree with the post above about glow plug operation! the day after i got my m1009 a glow plug was shot and it wouldn't start. i had to replace all of them for good measure.
check everything you can without taking things apart ie. wiper operation, all lights, speedometer/gauges, look underneath at the engine and axles for leaks, feel brake operation if you can test drive, trans shifting(to me this one is a matter of how does it feel, smooth, rough, but these are old trucks too), overall rust condition.

i don't know how mechanicallly inclined you are but this was my first diesel and truck(most of my previous cars were vw's), so there's definitely a lot you can learn from this site as these aren't exactly like civy trucks. use the search function and ask for help and in my experience on here so far people will help.

Redfive0

Hey Thanks. Supposedly there are seven on the lot so ill just have to fiddle around with all of them. Thanks for the tips. This will be my first diesel apart for the m109a3 we bought and restored 8 months ago. some one told me the diesels on these things aren't very reliable because it's a gas engine converted in to a diesel but I'm assuming that's allot of Chevy Ford trash talk form the jealous neighbors I cant see how that would make any difference at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks